error installing zenpacks
Carlton Reimer
2012-04-13 15:48:18 UTC
Carlton Reimer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/creimer] created the discussion

"error installing zenpacks"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65885#65885

I'm having problems installing zenpacks on our one zenoss server. The following is what shows up when i do it manually.

ERROR:zen.ZenPackCmd:zenpack command failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/zenpack.py", line 406, in <module>
    zp.run()
  File "/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/zenpack.py", line 134, in run
    previousVersion= self.options.previousVersion)
  File "/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/ZenPackCmd.py", line 240, in InstallEggAndZenPack
    zpDists = InstallEgg(dmd, eggPath, link=link)
  File "/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/ZenPackCmd.py", line 303, in InstallEgg
DoEasyUninstall(eggPath)
  File "/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/ZenPackCmd.py", line 891, in DoEasyUninstall
easy_install.main(args)
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/setuptools/command/easy_install.py", line 1712, in main
with_ei_usage(lambda:
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/setuptools/command/easy_install.py", line 1700, in with_ei_usage
    return f()
  File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/setuptools/command/easy_install.py", line 1716, in <lambda>
distclass=DistributionWithoutHelpCommands, **kw
  File "/usr/local/zenoss/python/lib/python2.6/distutils/core.py", line 169, in setup
    raise SystemExit, "error: " + str(msg)
SystemExit: error: can't create or remove files in install directory

The following error occurred while trying to add or remove files in the
installation directory:

    [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/ZenPacks/test-easy-install-17967.write-test'

The installation directory you specified (via --install-dir, --prefix, or
the distutils default setting) was:

/usr/local/zenoss/zenoss/ZenPacks

Perhaps your account does not have write access to this directory?  If the
installation directory is a system-owned directory, you may need to sign in
as the administrator or "root" account.  If you do not have administrative
access to this machine, you may wish to choose a different installation
directory, preferably one that is listed in your PYTHONPATH environment
* variable.

For information on other options, you may wish to consult the
documentation at:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html http://peak.telecommunity.com/EasyInstall.html

Please make the appropriate changes for your system and try again.

I am doing it as zenoss user, tried putting zenpacks in different folders, changed the permissions on the zenpacks. I tried installing it in the GUI it is busy for a bit after pressing the "ok" button after browsing for zenpack but comes back with nothing installed.

Any advice what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Carlton Reimer
2012-04-16 13:35:09 UTC
Carlton Reimer [http://community.zenoss.org/people/creimer] created the discussion

"Re: error installing zenpacks"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65922#65922

I got it working. I upgrade to the latest version and that fixed the problem..