Monitoring Links over internet
dionizio
2012-01-27 19:35:41 UTC
dionizio [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dionizio] created the discussion

"Monitoring Links over internet"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63979#63979

Hello,

In my company we monitor 50 links over the internet, some of then use dynamic IP Address, so its changes from time to time.
I use dydns for have url to ping, but zenoss after you create the object, it always pings the IP Address not the URL.

Every time Zenoss alerts the link is down, we have to access Zenoss -> Access the Device and click in Reset/Change Ip Address.

Someone know a way that zenoss execute this option before saying the link is down? or execute the option every time he Pings?

Shane Scott
2012-01-31 21:20:12 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring Links over internet"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64073#64073

dionizio:

A good solution for this is the following:

Add all of the devices with this problem to a group called Dynamics

In the /Status/Ping event class, create and event transform which acts on devices in the group Dynamics. This transform should take the manageIp and do a lookup. If the value doesn't match, the transform can then set the event to state 2, suppressed, and create a new event in /Change/Set as severity info.

The event should have an identifiable name and message.

Finally in the alerting rules create an event command. It's essentially an alerting rule that runs a command. Setup the rule to act on events in /Change/Set, whose parent device is in the group Dynamics and whose message 'contains' part of a qualifying message (e.g. 'dynamic ip changed'). The command for the event is run as the user zenoss and can use a combination of dmd and tales expressions to set the new ip pulled from the event.

Essentially this does 4 things:
1) supresses down events that are due to a lookup differnce
2) It organizes and ensures the actions don't occur on non qualifying devices accidently
3) makes an easy to follow history of ip changes
4) updates the ip

Best,
--Shane (Hackman238)