Custom command - inaccurate values being shown
jmp242
2012-03-16 12:30:53 UTC

"Re: Custom command - inaccurate values being shown"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65261#65261

You're being bitten by RRDs. Basically, the RRDs always normalize data over time, and the resolution gets less over time also. I.e. by default you'll have a datapoint every 5 minutes. That gets less detailed - it throws out data - after 50 hours if I recall correctly. So if you look back a week later, you'll no longer have every 5 minutes a datapoint, you'll have every hour a datapoint, so the averaged numbers change.

Also when you zoom in, you're not zooming in like you expect. You're re-generating the graph for a different range of time, so again, the details change and the averages change. It gets more complicated, but read the rrd website and search these forums on RRD stuff and you'll find MANY discussions on the oddities.