IT services - high-level (business) view of monitored infrastructure
sistemas@begar.es
2013-05-08 08:23:32 UTC
***@begar.es [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sistemas%40begar.es] created the discussion

"IT services - high-level (business) view of monitored infrastructure"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73106#73106

Hi all,

I would like to have a high-level (business) view of monitored infrastructure. So I have created a tree under "systems" and I started to populate the tree with the services offered by IT Dept.

As I was building this tree, I realized that this was not flexible. For example, I have basic services, like DNS, that are under more than one service:

SYSTEMS
     email
          DNS
          exchange
     web surfing
          proxy
          DNS
               srv-dns1
          ..
     Active Directory
          DNS

so is neccesary to replicate the item "DNS" 3 times. This is a limitation. Zabbix for example has a better aproach: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/2.2/manual/it_services#configuration https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/2.2/manual/it_services#configuration

another limitation: alarms are propagated equally to upper services. It would be great if you could assign weights to each item (Pandora FMS)

I think this is not very difficult to implement, or may be is implemented in commercial version?

Any help would be very appreciated. Best regards,
JJ.-

Rob Eagle
2013-05-08 12:36:06 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: IT services - high-level (business) view of monitored infrastructure"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73108#73108

Not sure this is possible w/o a lot of customization, the resource management solution is more component driven, but the zenoss enterprise solution has impact management ( http://www.zenoss.com/solution/service_impact http://www.zenoss.com/solution/service_impact), which offers a service type view.  Have seen a couple demos on the product, but think you might need to purchase both the resource management & service impact solutions together to get the best integration.
--Rob