Device Tree Expansion and Collapse
joanypony
2012-12-13 21:47:15 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Device Tree Expansion and Collapse"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70541#70541

This is a bit of a weird one, and searching online hasn't brought me any joy.
I have 7 instances of Zenoss Core 3.2.1 installed on SL 6.1. They are exhibiting different behaviour on the webinterface.

eg.  If I click on a folder in the device class tree, expand it, click on a device within that folder, then I am in the settings of that device. Then to move back to the folder, I click on the name of the folder in the top left, under the device name. It all works fine in my older installs.

In my newer installs, when I am in the device and try to move back up just one level by clicking on the folder name, it brings me back to the unexpanded root tree.

The difference between my older and newer installs isn't to do with the Zenoss stack installer, it's in various rpms installed for legacy requirements on the older servers.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Or does it seem like it's not a Zenoss thing, but a Linux thing?
I'd appreciate any feedback lots..

Thanks!

Joan

joanypony
2012-12-14 09:45:19 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: Device Tree Expansion and Collapse"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70542#70542

Aha.
Some more information. It is only folders outside the main "Server" group that do not act as normal. On my old Zenoss installs, I had all devices inside Servers->Linux->Blah. In my new installs, I have stuff in CompanyName->ApplicationName->Blah. It's only the folders outside of the Server group that are behaving oddly.

I've checked the configuration settings of the "Server" device class and I can't see anything different from the folder I created under the main /Device Class root..

Regards,
Joan

joanypony
2012-12-14 12:57:45 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: Device Tree Expansion and Collapse"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70545#70545

And I found the answer. Don't make a device class with a "." in the title. eg, company.com. It functions fine except for moving backwards to your previous folder.

You cannot rename the entire device class, Zenoss doesn't like that and makes your devices disappear.
You can however create a new device class, without a period in the name, and use the management interface to move your subfolders over one by one.
This will however break any reports you have running against these devices. It probably has some other interesting side affects too.

I'm going to cut my losses on 2 of my servers and just leave them alone, and rebuild the tree completely on 2 others.

Hope this helps someone, as it drove me slightly mad :)

Joan