Zenoss daemons crashing every hour
James M
2013-08-29 07:41:42 UTC
James M [http://community.zenoss.org/people/James] created the discussion

"Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74524#74524

Zenoss 4.2.3 CentOS 5.4

In the last week the zenoss services (daemons) are crashing every hour (exactly, every hour! x:00), each time for 2-3 minutes.
I didn't change anything in zenoss settings, due to those crashes all our graphs are incomplete and fragmented.

I checked each daemon logs but couldn't find any indication for errors.

This daemons / processes crashing:
zenprocess, zenjmx, zenperfsnmp, zeneventlog, zenmodeler, zencommand, zenwinperf, zeneventd, zenhub, zenactiond, zenwin, zentrap, zenstatus, zensyslog, zenping

This is very critical for us, and I would really appreciate any troubleshooting suggests,
Is there any additional logs to check? specific log to enable debug?

hydruid
2013-08-29 14:04:12 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74512#74512

How many devices are you monitoring and what do the resources look like on your zenoss server?

James M
2013-08-29 14:10:53 UTC
James M [http://community.zenoss.org/people/James] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74525#74525

hey

187 devices
8GB RAM
2 CPUs

hydruid
2013-08-29 14:12:47 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74514#74514

run the "top" command and look to see if your CPU's are maxed out or not...

James M
2013-08-29 14:16:16 UTC
James M [http://community.zenoss.org/people/James] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74526#74526

hey http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid hydruid

already checked it, there's no high CPU or memory utilization.

hydruid
2013-08-29 14:24:10 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74515#74515

check /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog to see if there are any hints as
to what happened...make sure to look up from when it shows the zenoss
daemons died to see if anything else happened to cause it!

vitaly_il
2013-08-30 13:15:03 UTC
vitaly_il [http://community.zenoss.org/people/vitaly_il] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74529#74529

From Zenoss components logs it seems that they have problems with MySQL and Rabbitmq from time to time. Is there something interesting into Rabbitmq logs?

James M
2013-09-03 07:41:07 UTC
James M [http://community.zenoss.org/people/James] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74548#74548

Thanks for all your help guys!

I found out there was low disk space in the root partition that caused by the RabbitMQ temporary dump files (in /tmp)
In the RabbitMQ logs i found:

=INFO REPORT==== 1-Sep-2013::08:14:06 ===
Disk free limit set to 1000MB

=INFO REPORT==== 1-Sep-2013::08:14:06 ===
Disk free space insufficient. Free bytes:963620864 Limit:1000000000

There were no alerts on disk space (because it was momentary each time)

Once I increased the disk space in the root partition (/)  it seems to resolve the crashes.

Thanks again.

hydruid
2013-09-03 10:56:43 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss daemons crashing every hour"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74542#74542

Glad to hear you got it resolved!