Interface throuput way off with Cisco Etherchannels
sconos
2011-12-14 13:21:07 UTC
sconos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sconos] created the discussion

"Interface throuput way off with Cisco Etherchannels"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63256#63256

Running Zenoss 3.2.0 - I'm having either a graphing problem or data collection, not sure which yet, but it specific only to Cisco Etherchannel (Portchannel) interfaces.

I've got a number of etherchannels that bundle 4 1 Gig ports into a single portchannel interface on the same 6509.  The symptoms, graphs with big gaps and severaly underreported throughput.

I've looked at this same interface port-channel with both Cacti and Solarwinds and those programs both come up with the same result that is radically different with throughput up in the 800Mbps range and that actually matches what I'd expect as this PO faces a 16 Blade server chassis.

I've looked at a number of other single interfaces and the graphs and reporting on them seem in range and correct, I only see this issue on the small number of PO's that I have zenoss looking at.

Any ideas ?.. I don't even know where to start on this one becasue my other collection tools are working fine.

TIA - Mike

2011-12-15 13:56:46 UTC

"Re: Interface throuput way off with Cisco Etherchannels"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63291#63291

I wonder if it is using 32 bit interface counters and they're rolling over? There are forum posts about using 64 bit counters...

Shane Scott
2011-12-15 16:56:40 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Interface throuput way off with Cisco Etherchannels"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63313#63313

sconos:

What template are you using to collect the data? To find this go to the graph for the interface and pick 'Details' from the drop down box mid screen. Looks for 'Type' and for 'Template'. Please list both for us.

Best,
--Shane (Hackman238)

sconos
2011-12-15 17:56:19 UTC
sconos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sconos] created the discussion

"Re: Interface throuput way off with Cisco Etherchannels"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63316#63316

Shane,

Thanks, been reading through the numerous posts on this subject, its a little confusing becasue there are a lot and all at different versions of zenoss.

1.  I changed zSnmpVer to v2c for the whole box (Cisco 6509)
2. Ran a remodel on the box.

:( Sad Face .. all my int graphs are zero'd out now .. but a recognized that the RRD's are now pulling different data type OID's

All the single Interfaces now show Type and Template of ethernetCsmacd_64

All the Portchannels are now Type=propVirtual_64 - Template=ethernetCsmacd_64

I'm starting to see data populated back into all the interface graphs so I'm going to give it 12 hours to get a good picture and do another comparision. The first few hours of graphs have no breaks in them so that is a good sign but the actual throughput still looks low. Like I said, let it collect a little to do a better comparision.

If you think there might be other issues or configs I need to look at please let me know, but at least this is a start.

Thanks,

Mike (sconos)

sconos
2011-12-16 20:28:38 UTC
sconos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/sconos] created the discussion

"Re: Interface throuput way off with Cisco Etherchannels"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63307#63307

Success!!

Thank you Shane and James - good direction on researching the issue.

Version - Zenoss Core 3.2.0 - All the 64 bit counters are already there, just do an snmpwalk of the target device with a 64 bit OID and if you change zSnmpVer on device properties to v2c your all set. Run a remodel after the property change

Or - you could set them during discovery and discover it as snmp v2c right off the bat ... sigh (thats my learning curve issue)

My Cisco Etherchannel trunks are now graphing throughput properly .. 800Gbps and climbing - and the match Solarwinds and Nagios .. so I can move another system off of them now!

Mike

Shane Scott
2011-12-17 01:54:45 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Interface throuput way off with Cisco Etherchannels"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63337#63337

sconos:

Glad it's working!

Best,