SMTP Config and Setup : 4.2 and Centos 6.3
Stuart Buck
2012-10-17 16:08:31 UTC
Stuart Buck [http://community.zenoss.org/people/iti] created the discussion

"SMTP Config and Setup : 4.2 and Centos 6.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69308#69308

Good Afternoon,

Real newbie to Zenoss and I am struggling on setting up my first device to monitor .. One of our windows servers.

SMTP is enabled on the server and communities setup as per documentation.

In Zenoss I am getting the following alert repeatdly (30k+) per day for this server  :  *snmp trap snmp_authenticationFailure*

My Background is windows and i have to say i struggle somewhat under unix, but running SNMPWALK either from within Zenoss or from the CENTOS console returns a successfull request as below.

What I have noticed both from both the console or on a windows box (also using the snmpwalk) is that If i run SNMPWALK without the system parameter (+snmpwalk -v1 -cZENOSS 1xx.xx.xx.xx:161)+ I do get a timeout after receiving several hundred lines back (I am not sure if this is just a red herring or an issue as I have no idea how the requests are sent to the server - ). I did set the zMaxOIDPerRequest down to 10 after reading posts, but this made no difference.

Any pointers would be great !!
Thanks

+snmpwalk -v1 -cZENOSS 1xx.xx.xx.xx:161 system+
+SNMPv2-MIB::sysDescr.0 = STRING: Hardware: x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 AT/AT COMPATIBLE - Software: Windows Version 5.2 (Build 3790 Multiprocessor Free)+
+SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.311.1.1.3.1.2+
+DISMAN-EVENT-MIB::sysUpTimeInstance = Timeticks: (881952798) 102 days, 1:52:07.98+
+SNMPv2-MIB::sysContact.0 = STRING:+
+SNMPv2-MIB::sysName.0 = STRING: CGI_FILESERVER+

nilie
2012-10-17 17:35:33 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: SMTP Config and Setup : 4.2 and Centos 6.3"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69314#69314

First of all, what you have seen displayed as the result of snmpwalk is correct. Doing a snmpwalk with the "system" parameter will return only a subset of the MIB OID tree (the system branch) while a snmpwalk with no parameter after the target IP address will show you the whole tree which is fairly large and normally you should not receive a time-out so you should look into this maybe later.
Now your alert is an snmp trap (like a notification) sent by your target server to let Zenoss know some machine tries to interrogate it using the snmp protocol but failing to authenticate properly. This is very likely your Zenoss instance using an incorrect community name (in snmp version 1 and 2c) or authentication parameters in snmp v3.
You could take a look at this article http://community.zenoss.org/message/10213#10213 http://community.zenoss.org/message/10213 for clues but prior to this, I would suggest you to get familiar with the SNMP protocol.

Hope this will help.