Using Zenoss also as an asset management system
Anatoly
2012-10-22 13:54:26 UTC
Anatoly [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Anatoly] created the discussion

"Using Zenoss also as an asset management system"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69409#69409

Hello,

I am trying  to use  Zenoss so as Zenoss would have some  features of asset management
system. That is I would have the ability to manually add such  properties as
device's owner, owner's phone, owner's email and so on.

To do so I created a Custom Property by selecting Infrastucture -> Devices -> Details
-> Custom Schema and adding a string type of cOwner.
I then populated this field through Custom Properties option on the left side of the
device detail screen for each device.
My first goal is to place property Owner in Devices View on the line where other
properties like Device, IP Address, Device Class ... are placed so as
I could find a device by its owner.

But I don't know how to do this.

Is there any other approach ?

Any help is appreciated.

themactech
2012-10-22 15:46:04 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Using Zenoss also as an asset management system"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69428#69428

I would be interested in that as well, personally I want to add warranty information, so zenoss alerts you as a warranty is about to expire.  I have worked that a bit under previous versions but would love to create a zenpack for 4.2.x to add both of these features.

Don't know if anyone else would be interested.

Manuel

Charles Wilkinson
2012-10-24 15:25:05 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: Using Zenoss also as an asset management system"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69507#69507

On the alerting for warranty expiry:

You probably don't want to check for something like that every 5 minutes.  I'd actually look at a custom modeler plugin if you wanted it alerted on.  I think Chapter 9 of the same guide I linked above can cover that.

But another way could be to create a report listing the items due to expire in the next 12 months or a time period you specify if you can figure out how to make it.  Chapter 15 of the guide.

Charles Wilkinson
2012-10-24 15:09:18 UTC
Charles Wilkinson [http://community.zenoss.org/people/charles81] created the discussion

"Re: Using Zenoss also as an asset management system"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69506#69506

I'm on 4.1.1 Enterprise and I've not done it but if you're happy with modifying and using the "Overview" window to have the additional fields then I think its at the following location:

$ZENHOME/Products/ZenUI3/browser/resources/js/zenoss/DeviceOverviewPanel.js

I'm not certain of the implications and how easy it is but I'm sure if you're familiar with some java and general Zenoss coding then you could figure it out.

You can probably also create an entirely new menu item in the left pane for Asset Management by editing the devdetail.js file in the same directory and making your own file like the DeviceOverviewPanel.js file somewhere.  Its looks like there might be other files to edit or some registration of the new files required.

Read the Developers guide. Chapter 13: http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation/official_documentation/zenoss-dev-guide http://community.zenoss.org/community/documentation/official_documentation/zenoss-dev-guide