Nice that you can script... but why must we script everything?
Jo Rhett
2012-03-14 18:19:20 UTC
Jo Rhett [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jorhett] created the discussion

"Nice that you can script... but why must we script everything?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65193#65193

I find it nice that we can write complex scripts affecting Zenoss. But I'm starting to be confused by the complete lack of any management features without writing scripts.

The latest is that I am amazed that there is no way to disable all alerting -- have to either do it using the web ui (>1000 clicks), or write a script.  Really? Something so central to the system and I have to code it myself?

I am finding this on every level, but this seems to top the list.

Andrea Consadori
2012-03-14 18:38:40 UTC
Andrea Consadori [http://community.zenoss.org/people/andrea.consadori] created the discussion

"Re: Nice that you can script... but why must we script everything?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65194#65194

and what about using production state and then custmomize alerting device class per device class?

Jo Rhett
2012-03-14 18:47:55 UTC
Jo Rhett [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jorhett] created the discussion

"Re: Nice that you can script... but why must we script everything?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65195#65195

Again, how would I change production state for all devices quickly?

Andrea Consadori
2012-03-14 18:58:29 UTC
Andrea Consadori [http://community.zenoss.org/people/andrea.consadori] created the discussion

"Re: Nice that you can script... but why must we script everything?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65196#65196

under infrastructure goes to /devices, than "select all" and under action tab on top right select "Set production state"

themactech
2012-03-15 14:39:17 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Nice that you can script... but why must we script everything?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65211#65211

I do this on a regular basis, you can create groups, put any device you want into the group then set maintenance windows for it.

I know that if I perform updated on my servers, it will affect this group of devices, so I put all of them in a group named 'server updates'.  When I know I will perform updates, I set a maintenance window for that time slot.  Then Zenoss will manage putting only those devices in maintenance mode, then return them to production mode when the scheduled maintenance window ends.

Manuel