Inheritance Query
joanypony
2012-03-14 12:43:26 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Inheritance Query"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65191#65191

If I bind a template to /devices/servers/linux - shouldn't it get bound automatically to the device classes underneath that?
I have some large scale checks that I want to bind to everything - eg, NTP offset checks. Do I have to explicitly toggle it on for each device class under Linux? Or will it filter down eventually? If so, is there a way to nudge it to make it go a bit faster?
Thanks,
Joan

Andrea Consadori
2012-03-14 19:26:35 UTC
Andrea Consadori [http://community.zenoss.org/people/andrea.consadori] created the discussion

"Re: Inheritance Query"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65200#65200

on 3.2.1 if you bind template to root folder all device in included folders will heredit the new template,
you're sure you've no error in log?

joanypony
2012-03-14 21:32:18 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: Inheritance Query"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65222#65222

Hi Andrea,

I see no errors. Is there a specific log I should look at? I bound a template over 6 hours ago, and it still hasn't propagated down to the included folders.. Is there a limit to the number of "levels" it will propagate down? Is it waiting for zenmodeler to run or something?

Thanks!
Joan

joanypony
2012-03-14 22:21:48 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: Inheritance Query"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65224#65224

I think I may have found a pattern  - I read http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/zenoss.2008/msg04706.html http://copilotco.com/mail-archives/zenoss.2008/msg04706.html.

Device classes that I had previously bound/unbound templates to, no longer accept any template bindings from higher up.
This is *really* annoying.
It means that I must very carefully order how I bind everything in my initial production build. But any subsequent templates that I wish to bind must be toggled on manually to each device class underneath root. Is there a way around this? This pretty much negates the inheritance feature of Zenoss for me.. I'd really appreciate some help on this one..

Regards,
Joan

themactech
2012-03-16 20:41:07 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Inheritance Query"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65308#65308

I understand your point but I think they do this so you can exclude a class from a binding hierarchy.  If you temporarly remove the custom binding you did to a class, propagate the higher ranking binding, wait for it to apply, then add your custom binding to that class again, it should now have both.

This should not be a very long process.  If they did it the other way, anything you have customized would get 'polluted' by bindings higher up.  Comes out about the same in the end.

Manuel