Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects"
0graham0
2011-10-25 18:56:18 UTC
0graham0 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/0graham0] created the discussion

"Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62150#62150

First off, this is regarding a Zenoss 3.2.0 install on a Centos 5.7 server with the Core ZenPacks installed.

I have several users assigned to the "ZenUsers" role. If they select a device on the infrastructure page, the actions menu is greyed out (which is what we want for most devices). I then proceed to add a device or device group to the user's "Administered objects," set the Role to ZenManager, and click save. The user then reloads the page and selects the device entry on the infrastructure page. The Action menu no longer appears greyed out, however all of the actions remain greyed out. The user cannot change any other settings for the devices either. The same thing happens if the user is set to Manager on the administered objects page.

If I remove any Administered objects and head back to the main user settings page and change the user's role to ZenManager or Manager, the user can modify everything as expected.

I have also tried going to the device page and adding the user as an administrator there, with the same results.

I'm not sure which log would contain relevant information, I wasn't able to find anything relevant by tailing the logs in the $ZENHOME/log folder. Apologies for the vague ticket, please let me know if I'm overlooking anything or if there is some additional information I can provide.

2011-10-25 19:03:48 UTC

"Re: Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62151#62151

Is this Core? Because Core doesn't support fine grained access controls, though there is some effort going into a zenpack that may eventually do what you want. That is, on Core it's working "As Designed" which is that it doesn't work.

Information Technology Area Supervisor

0graham0
2011-10-25 19:20:41 UTC
0graham0 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/0graham0] created the discussion

"Re: Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62153#62153

Ah, this is Core. I understand there aren't granular permissions, but the admin guide gives the impression you can at least specify ZenUser, ZenManager or Manager for specific devices/groups. Is the administer objects functionality just doesn't work?

2011-10-25 19:36:19 UTC

"Re: Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62154#62154

The Admin guide is misleading here - as far as I'm aware, OOTB in CORE, administred objects is only used for alerting and as a group for some reports.

Information Technology Area Supervisor

0graham0
2011-10-25 19:39:18 UTC
0graham0 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/0graham0] created the discussion

"Re: Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62155#62155

That's unfortunate. Thanks for the info.

2011-10-25 19:52:23 UTC

"Re: Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62171#62171

Please see this thread though, ZCA will be taking donations soon to get (some of?) this functionality added:
http://community.zenoss.org/thread/16617?tstart=0 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/16617?tstart=0

Information Technology Area Supervisor

0graham0
2011-10-25 20:01:59 UTC
0graham0 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/0graham0] created the discussion

"Re: Users/Groups not able to change settings for their "Administered Objects""

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62172#62172

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.