Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?
handsy
2012-08-28 11:30:38 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68203#68203

If so, how have you got it working? Is there a zenpack (can't find one)?

I've tried adding one to my zenoss installation as a generic /Server, but it doesn't gather any SNMP data at all. Any help appreciated :)

dpetzel
2012-08-28 12:42:01 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68204#68204

I'm not familar with the IBM STOREWIZE V7000, but the answer to your question is "more than likely". If the device supports SNMP, than it would be an "almost certainly".  It really depends on what you mean by "handle". Without doing anything Zenoss will be able recieve SNMP traps. You would probably want to load the MIBS to have the traps translated.

If your looking to have Zenoss collect historical performance data, you might need to create your own SNMP based monitoring template using the OIDs the device exposes.

handsy
2012-08-28 13:18:56 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68207#68207

Thanks for your reply.
Could you please point me in the direction of an idiots guide to SNMP based monitoring using OIDs?

dpetzel
2012-08-28 14:13:21 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68213#68213

I can't say as I know of one. I would certainly read up on Chapter 6 in the Zenoss Admin guide. That will give you the overview of the monitoring templates, but I think its going to assume at least a basic understanding of SNMP.

alex0cy
2012-08-28 14:23:23 UTC
alex0cy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/alex0cy] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68196#68196

As I remember V7000 does not support SNMP polling, but only SNMP traps which you can process in Zenoss.

bigegor
2012-08-28 17:13:40 UTC
bigegor [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bigegor] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68218#68218

Hi handsy,

it seems like IBM STOREWIZE V7000 supported SMI-S monitoring (search for IBM STOREWIZE V7000 CIM agent).
So you can try to monitor your storage with https://github.com/epuzanov/ZenPacks.community.CIMMon https://github.com/epuzanov/ZenPacks.community.CIMMon ZenPack.
'pywbemdb',scheme='https',host='ip_arrderss_of_server_with cim_agent_installed',port=5989,user='${here/zWinUser}',password='${here/zWinPassword}',namespace='root/ibm'
2. set zWinUser and zWinPassword zProperties
3. put your storage in  /Storage/SMI-S device class
4. remodel it

handsy
2012-09-03 10:49:35 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68360#68360

Hi bigegor, sorry for such a long time with my reply but been really busy.
Just tried to follow your instructions and am stuck right at the first step, i.e. downloading CIMMon zenpack!
I can't seem to find the zenpack itself (.egg file). Can you please point me directly at it?

I have downloaded the 2 zenpacks that are listed as pre-requisites for CIMMon, i.e. SQL Datasource and Advanced Device Details.

Thanks

alex0cy
2012-09-03 14:26:09 UTC
alex0cy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/alex0cy] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68377#68377

Hi handsy,

try to install CIMMon zenpack from git (Developer Installation mode).

I tried it and it works just fine. It discovered V7000 Hor Disks, Logical disks, etc. just fine.

However, I see a problem anfd have a question to bigegor.
2012-09-03 17:25:15,806 INFO zen.zenperfsql: Connecting to localhost:8789
2012-09-03 17:25:15,817 INFO zen.zenperfsql: Connected to ZenHub
2012-09-03 17:25:16,013 *ERROR zen.collector.config: Configuration for ibm-v7000 unavailable -- is that the correct name?*
2012-09-03 17:25:16,014 INFO zen.zenperfsql: Daemon CollectorDaemon shutting down
Any idea where this configuration is read from?

bigegor
2012-09-03 15:50:14 UTC
bigegor [http://community.zenoss.org/people/bigegor] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68364#68364

Hi alex0cy,

from ZODB.
Try to restart your zenoss.

alex0cy
2012-09-04 06:18:46 UTC
alex0cy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/alex0cy] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68383#68383

Hi bigegor,

zenoss was already restarted. I even did reindex() of database. And this did not help.

Paul Greidanus
2013-03-05 18:33:54 UTC
Paul Greidanus [http://community.zenoss.org/people/prg3] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72286#72286

I have this setup, but I'm not getting any of the performance data, and it's giving errors on most of the disks and trays.. Just wondering if there's any work on this? I'm runing a GIT checkout from a few days ago.

handsy
2013-11-06 15:54:51 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: Can zenoss handle IBM Storwize V7000?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75196#75196

Hi bigegor,
Hope you're around and about on this community still as I need your help! :)

I've been playing about with the CIMMon Zenpack v0.98 (pre-req of SQLDataSource v2.5.0), running it against my IBM Storwize V7000 devices. I've placed them in /Storage/SMI-S and adjusted the two Z properties as per your instructions in a previous post.

I get a few errors, as follows which I hope you can clear up for me:

* Constant events being generated against class +/Status/CIM_ManagedSystemElement+. Message is "threshold of OperationalStatus not met: current value 0.000000". Agent is +zenperfsql+ if that helps??
* I get no graphing at all - should I?

For now, I've switched off monitoring the troublesome elements.

Thanks, Mark