Monitoring 2 IP with same device
kelvinlo
2012-01-31 04:08:29 UTC
kelvinlo [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kelvinlo] created the discussion

"Monitoring 2 IP with same device"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64021#64021

Dear All,

I have a Server which is eth0 and eth0:1 with 2 WAN IP Address, but I find the Zenping didn't monitor the eth0:1 IP Address.
Anyone have idea it's normal or I need to create another Device to monitor the IP Alias interface?

Many Thanks!

Regards,
Kelvin Lo

2012-01-31 13:27:14 UTC

"Re: Monitoring 2 IP with same device"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64000#64000

Sadly Zenoss does indeed use IP as a primary key. So on our servers with IPMI interfaces for instance, we must have a second device in Zenoss for each IPMI... So yes, you'll need a "psudo" device for the other IP.

Shane Scott
2012-02-02 20:46:23 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring 2 IP with same device"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64163#64163

kelvinlo:

In custom properties under /Devices add cSecondIp as a string. Create a template which uses a commadn datasource to do a ping ${here/cSecondIp}. Set the datasource to drop its event in /Status/Ping and add the event key 'SecondIpDown'. In the event class /Status/Ping add a transform which looks for the event key 'SecondIpDown' and correspondingly changes the event message and subject to match the output and severity of a standard ip down message.

--Shane