max filesystem size? 8TB?
jpertschuk
2011-12-19 22:46:41 UTC
jpertschuk [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jpertschuk] created the discussion

"max filesystem size? 8TB?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63359#63359

I am running into an issue with both an ext3 fileystem and nfsfilesystems that are over 8TB in size. Drives of this size and larger are not showing up under filesystems.

When I snmp walk a system with an 8TB volume, everything looks fine:

snmpwalk -Os -c public -v 2c myserver hrStorageDescr
hrStorageDescr.1 = STRING: A:\
hrStorageDescr.2 = STRING: C:\ Label:System  Serial Number 945f21d0
hrStorageDescr.3 = STRING: D:\
*hrStorageDescr.4 = STRING: E:\ Label:VT1HS1-SHARES  Serial Number d8a56fdc*
hrStorageDescr.5 = STRING: F:\ Label:nas02-iscsi01  Serial Number 1e072c0a
hrStorageDescr.6 = STRING: Virtual Memory
hrStorageDescr.7 = STRING: Physical Memory

The *E* drive on this server is an 8TB iscsi mounted volume (ntfs). Iscisi is not the problem as the F drive is iscisi as well, but only 4.7TB, and it shows up under filesystems (ntfs)
When I modle the devise, zenoss reports:

2011-12-19 17:40:11,293 INFO zen.ZenModeler: *Skipping* E:\ Label:VT1HS1-SHARES  Serial Number d8a56fdc. 0 total blocks.

I saw the same behavior under linux with an ext3 8TB drive. Is there a limitation under zenoss for max drive size?
If so, how can I work around it?

Thanks in advance

2011-12-20 13:23:36 UTC

"Re: max filesystem size? 8TB?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63353#63353

Well, not specifically a limit in Zenoss, and apparently not at 8TB. I currently am monitoring an iSCSI mounted 10TB filesystem fine from a Linux Server. That said, at a certain size ~20TB, the SNMP counters will rollover causing failures. There are forum posts about how to use SSH monitoring in those cases until I suppose Net-SNMP or whoever is writing the agents and standards come up with a bigger counter.

In your case, it looks like a Windows system which I haven't seen any posts about before. Anyway, make sure you're not ignoring it in a zProperty (Configuration Property) like zFileSystemMapIgnoreNames...

jpertschuk
2012-01-06 21:32:39 UTC
jpertschuk [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jpertschuk] created the discussion

"Re: max filesystem size? 8TB?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63579#63579

Nothing in zproperties that would prevent this from being added duing a modle of devise. I'm at a loss. Is no one else out there monitoring a windows server with over an 8TB volume? Really?

mwcotton
2012-01-06 22:02:52 UTC
mwcotton [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mwcotton] created the discussion

"Re: max filesystem size? 8TB?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/63585#63585

usually the disk size limitation is a function of the snmp client ( the snmp software on the windows box and the linux box).
I would suggest you setup the wmi monitoring of the windows server and see if it can deal with it.