Changing template interfaces on specific devices
Martin Thøgersen
2012-08-16 08:03:23 UTC
Martin ThÞgersen [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Martin] created the discussion

"Changing template interfaces on specific devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67880#67880

Hi

I whish to change the template (ethernetCsmacd_64) that is used for my interfaces on my switches and routers, not servers.
I see that both routers, switches and routers use the same template, so if I make changes to it globally, it takes affect on all devices.

I also know that I can go to each interface, make a local copy of the template, make the changes to the template locally on each interface. But that would reqiure me to go through each and every interface on every switch/router, and thats several hundreds interfaces.

I have tried to make a new template similar to the ethernetCsmacd_64, with a different name, but how do I make the routers and switches choose this new template for the interfaces ?

I there a way to edit the (ethernetCsmacd_64), so that it only has affect on the routers & switches.?

Running Zenoss ver. 3.2.1

Rob Eagle
2012-08-16 12:35:06 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Changing template interfaces on specific devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67885#67885

Go to advanced -> monitoring templates -> ethernetCsmacd_64.  Highlight template assigned to /Devices, select gear at bottom of screen and choose copy / override template.  Choose the device class all your routers/swichtes are in and confirm.  Now you can make changes to the copy of the template safetly and it will only effect devices in the device class it is associated with.
--Rob

Martin Thøgersen
2012-08-16 12:58:16 UTC
Martin ThÞgersen [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Martin] created the discussion

"Re: Changing template interfaces on specific devices"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67901#67901

Thanks, tried it,  it worked, and solved my problem