Device formerly identified by IP still shows IP address
guyverix
2011-11-18 02:50:41 UTC
guyverix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/guyverix] created the discussion

"Device formerly identified by IP still shows IP address"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62698#62698

I have several devices that have an odd problem.  The devices were added initially by IP address, and then renamed.  However internally, zenoss still has the device defined by IP address, even though the host name is now displayed correctly.  In particular it is causing problems with a Event report that is being generated with evt.device still being the IP address.  It also is affecting deduplicaiton the same way as well.

How can I tell zope (I assume) that the device name is the "Device Name:" from the overview page, and have it update the database safely?  I have a lot of these devices showing this behavior, and cant figure out how the heck to change it.  This is on a bin install of 3.1.  I would like to get this cleared up before updating to 3.2.1 if possible.

guyverix
2011-11-18 03:19:34 UTC
guyverix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/guyverix] created the discussion

"Re: Device formerly identified by IP still shows IP address"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62699#62699

I forgot to mention, I have tried the reindex() and commit() trick in zendmd, and that did not get things bach into sync.

Shane Scott
2011-11-18 04:01:23 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Device formerly identified by IP still shows IP address"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62700#62700

guyverix:

There are 3 places the entry can be.

1) id - 'Rename Device' can change this
2) title - Can be set on the deviceStatus page
3) manageIp - 'Reset IP' can set this item to the desired address

Best,
--Shane (Hackman238)

guyverix
2011-11-18 04:27:04 UTC
guyverix [http://community.zenoss.org/people/guyverix] created the discussion

"Re: Device formerly identified by IP still shows IP address"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62701#62701

Thanks!  The rename device in the Gear got it for me.  The Device Name: only appears to set a title, not the true device id.  I didnt mess with the third option thankfully.

Shane Scott
2011-11-18 05:11:02 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Device formerly identified by IP still shows IP address"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62703#62703

guyverix:

No problem :)

Best,