How to link sites on map not on same network
plight
2013-10-14 00:54:59 UTC
plight [http://community.zenoss.org/people/plight] created the discussion

"How to link sites on map not on same network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74942#74942

We have 60+ vpn tunnels going out to our remote sites.  Each site has its own subnet, which for the sake if this discussion, will be either 192.168.x.x or 172.20.x.x.

I know that the site linking works based on devices being on the same network.  This does not work in our scenario because each sites subnet is unique. Obviously what ends up happening is none of the sites link on the map. Is there any way to trick Zenoss into linking sites /devices together?  Preferably it would only link the vpn end points.

Thanks!

hydruid
2013-10-14 17:12:23 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: How to link sites on map not on same network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74943#74943

We talked in IRC chat about this subject. You are monitoring the LAN
interfaces of the remote VPN devices, so even if they each have their own
192.168.1.0/24 network, they are not technically in the same network
segment.

An easy solution to your problem is to statically assign an IP from the VPN
DHCP Pool to each remote VPN device and monitoring those ip's. Since they
will be in the same network segment, the green lines will be drawn.

Make sense?

plight
2013-10-16 15:30:22 UTC
plight [http://community.zenoss.org/people/plight] created the discussion

"Re: How to link sites on map not on same network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74982#74982

Yes it makes complete sense. The problem is I don't have time atm to add an interface to each remote firewall or change IPs.  I was hoping there was  a"quick" fix. I am kind of surprised there is not a way to just say "this site is remotely connected to this site" manually.

hydruid
2013-10-17 02:04:38 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: How to link sites on map not on same network"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74988#74988

Dry erase marker? All kidding aside, I'm sure the Enterprise version of
Zenoss would have said functionality, but in all reality it makes sense
that it only draws line to connected segments.