Wrong size with a 37,51 Tb volume on a Synology
Michel Lombart
2012-03-23 13:59:06 UTC
Michel Lombart [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mel] created the discussion

"Wrong size with a 37,51 Tb volume on a Synology"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65417#65417

Hello everybody,

I'm facing this issue.

We have a Synology NAS for our backup. The volume is a 37,51 TB.

The monitoring with Zenoss is nice for everything unless the size of the volume. Zenoss shows a 5,51 Tb volume. A difference of just 32 Tb.

I feel that there is a rounded value somewhere but I do not know how I can fix it.

Of course, I've any possibility to modify then SNMP server settings into the Synology. My only place of action is the Zenoss.

Any idea ?

Thank for your help.

Michel.

Shane Scott
2012-03-23 14:58:40 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Wrong size with a 37,51 Tb volume on a Synology"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65431#65431

Mike:

If you snmpget the oid for the volume capacity do you get the correct value?

Best,
--Shane

jcurry
2012-03-24 09:48:00 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: Wrong size with a 37,51 Tb volume on a Synology"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65443#65443

Hi Michael,
This is a well-known issue.  Many SNMP agents don't support 64-bit values for filesystem size so it wraps at around the 2Tb point and, as you see, gives you nonsense.  Unless you can get a different agent that does support 64-bit values here, you are stuck for using SNMP.

The workaround that many use is to use ssh to access the device in question.  This means setting up the zCommand User and zCommandPassword (and, of course, having ssh access to the device).  The good news is that Zenoss does provide a modeler plugin - zenoss.cmd.df - that gets these values correctly for you.  Have a look at this thread - http://community.zenoss.org/message/63127#63127 http://community.zenoss.org/message/63127#63127  .

Cheers,
Jane