SNMP Traps not being translated properly
handsy
2013-10-16 09:44:25 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"SNMP Traps not being translated properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74947#74947

I'm running Zenoss Core 4.2.4 and am monitoring a number of NetOptics devices. These devices have their own MIBs, which I have loaded in to Zenoss successfully under their own Tree (see attached image).
The problem is when I receive a trap it doesn't have a nice user-friendly description which I believe it should have.
For example, when I receive a trap for OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.23022.100.9.1.0.2.0.11, the event in Zenoss simply says "snmp trap portEvtList.11" which isn't very helpful.
Looking in the MIBs I found that +NETOPTICS-PORT-MIB.mib+ has the following entry:

-- 1.3.6.1.4.1.23022.100.9.1.0.2.0.1

portLinkStatusChanged NOTIFICATION-TYPE

OBJECTS { alertSequence, eventIndex, alertSeverity, alertType, alertDateTime,
alertMessage, portStatusIfIndex, portAdmin, portLinkStatus }

STATUS current

DESCRIPTION
"A portLinkStatusChanged trap signifies that the SNMP entity, acting in
an agent role, has detected that the portStatus object for
one of its communication links has changed to a new state as
indicated by portStatus This trap is intended to replace the
functions of the separate traditional linkUp and linkDown traps."
::= { portEvtList 1 }

There is no MIB entry ending in .11 anywhere in that MIB - is that right? Strangely the SNMP Trap has a field stating the PortNum is 13, again that is not listed in the description you see in Zenoss Events, but buried in the detail of the event itself.
Something is wrong here, and I'm hoping you clever lot can help me out :)
| |

kb8u
2013-10-16 17:14:45 UTC
kb8u [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kb8u] created the discussion

"Re: SNMP Traps not being translated properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74983#74983

"There is no MIB entry ending in .11 anywhere in that MIB - is that right?"

I searched for two minutes and couldn't find a copy of the MIB to confirm that, but it sounds like the vendor's MIB you instllled in zenoss is older than what the device is using.  Have you asked NetOptics if there is a newer MIB?  Usually they have a version number in the comments near the top of the file.

hydruid
2013-10-17 02:03:33 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: SNMP Traps not being translated properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74987#74987

Zenoss translated the information for the event using the MIB. The MIB
lists "portEvtList" and the 11/13 are probably interfaces or sub-interfaces.

You have 2 options to make the event more specific:
1. Modify the MIB to display the message youwant
2. Write a transform to change the event to display the message you want,
or change the class to something that is more information (e.g.
/Network/Interfaces/ON-FIRE)

Hope that helps!

handsy
2013-10-17 07:28:54 UTC
handsy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/handsy] created the discussion

"Re: SNMP Traps not being translated properly"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74989#74989

Thanks for the replies :)

I've checked with NetOptics and I do have the latest MIB files, I have now asked them to read this post and answer whether their MIB is missing some OIDs to translate.

I will get back to you once I have the response.