Zenoss/PagerDuty Synchronization
j053ph4
2012-12-04 19:01:01 UTC
j053ph4 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4] created the discussion

"Zenoss/PagerDuty Synchronization"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70326#70326

I've been looking at potential methods to integrate Zenoss and PagerDuty.  Although a "curl"-based method is documented on the PagerDuty site, I wanted to be able to take advantage of some PagerDuty features like Maintenance Windows.  I also wanted to synchronize the Zenoss Event and PagerDuty Incident states, while replicating PagerDuty's Incident History in the Zenoss Event Console.

My goal in our environment is to "close the loop" between our NOC and our admin staff, so that the NOC (who uses the Event Console quite heavily) and the admin staff (who receive alerts) are kept "on the same page", in that the NOC has insight into the issue resolution process without the overhead of conference calls, follow-up, etc.

My secondary goal is to gain a better familiarity with the JSON API, since it looks to be pretty powerful now and since my forthcoming 4.x migration will need an upgrade path for some custom scripts I have, etc...

I've created a repo on GitHub with my initial attempts, and hope that others find it useful.  I also hope that others can find flaws, suggest improvements, etc.

Keep in mind that I am not yet using this myself in a "production" environment, and my company is not a PagerDuty subscriber (hopefully will be soon).  There's probably much I've overlooked, not thought of, etc.  A list of my suspected issues is posted on the GitHub README (along with a better description of the script and its use).

I can't guarantee that the script is not flammable or carcinogenic, that it doesn't pose a risk for serious side-effects including excema, stroke, or depression.  I also can't guarantee that it will be actively maintained if we decide not to use PagerDuty in our environment.

https://github.com/j053ph4/zenoss-pagerduty-sync https://github.com/j053ph4/zenoss-pagerduty-sync

Enjoy!

Joseph

j053ph4
2013-04-18 16:54:34 UTC
j053ph4 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/j053ph4] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss/PagerDuty Synchronization"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72900#72900

Just wanted to say that I've released a ZenPack that incorporates this script and better integrates with Zenoss here:

http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:PagerDuty http://wiki.zenoss.org/ZenPack:PagerDuty

Thanks,
Joseph

Petr Artamonov
2013-04-29 19:22:01 UTC
Petr Artamonov [http://community.zenoss.org/people/petr] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss/PagerDuty Synchronization"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73005#73005

Hello Joseth,

I'm truing to implement your pack, but it's not working.

Could you please help me with some questions:
1. after instalation it's asking for conf file, I created it with the same names as in your zenpdsync.py file, but it said that format is wrong, could you specify the format
2. even after I filled all information in zenpdsync.py with required credentials, it's still not working

Just for those who will uninstall zenpack, do not forget to delete hearbeat string from MySQL

Thanks in advance,
Petr.