High Event Queue Message
joanypony
2012-03-13 15:48:47 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"High Event Queue Message"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65147#65147

I'm currently in the process of migrating our existing systems from a Frankensteined Nagios implementation to Zenoss. I've just gotten a message of:

"threshold of high event queue exceeded: current value 1956.00"

I'm pretty surprised at this as I thought we had spec'd the box pretty well and I haven't even added all the hosts yet!

I'm running Zenoss Core 3.2.1 on a Dell R610, 48 G RAM, 6 x 200G SSD drives.

So far, I only have 185 devices being monitored. I'd plan to bring it up to a total of 400. Attached is a screenshot of the localhost memory and CPU usage. I want to keep all of this on one server - I do not want to use another collector other than localhost. - hence purchasing of decent hardware.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Changes that need to be made or tuning suggestions etc?

Regards,
Joan

jcurry
2012-03-14 11:21:10 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: High Event Queue Message"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65183#65183

Where did you see this message?  From your graph, it looks like your CPU is fine and 185 devices shouldn't normally overstretch a system.  What are the devices?  Do they have lots of interfaces?

I would have a dig around the logs in $ZENHOME/logs, starting with zenhub.log, event.log and probably zenperfsnmp.log.  I think that message is trying to tell you that you have a huge number of events happening.  Many of them may be irrelevant, like trying to get SNMP performance data from devices that don't support SNMP or trying to get WMI information from Windows devices when you haven't setup the Windows user/password.

Have a look at your event console and make sure you check the boxes to see debug severity messages as well as the usual critical, error, etc - debug events tend to be generated on SNMP timeouts.

I think if you can find these events and resolve them then your message will go away and your whole events subsystem will run much more sweetly.

Cheers,
Jane

joanypony
2012-03-14 12:08:09 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: High Event Queue Message"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65186#65186

Hi Jane,
Thanks for that. I think you hit the nail on the head. As I said, I'm in the process of setting it up, so while I was busy adding various zenpacks, devices etc..  I hadn't yet cleaned out the event queue and there were LOTS of irrelevent events due to unnecessary checks.
I did some cleaning up and it's all happy again..
Thanks!
Joan