Question regarding DNS & IP addresses
MattRK
2012-03-08 20:20:29 UTC
MattRK [http://community.zenoss.org/people/MattRK] created the discussion

"Question regarding DNS & IP addresses"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65083#65083

So i had a mild panic attack this morning when i realized that all our devices in Zenoss were setup to point to the DNS name of the device rather than just to its IP address. Obviously zenoss did a look to determine what the ip address of the device is. But my question is this:

What if DNS goes down? Does Zenoss rely on DNS to determine the IP address? Or does it keep a record of what each devices IP address is? Basically, if DNS goes down, will zenoss still continue to function.

Thanks!

chrisv
2012-03-08 20:27:13 UTC
chrisv [http://community.zenoss.org/people/chrisv] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding DNS & IP addresses"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65084#65084

I use the hosts file for exactly this reason. Plus it gives me some naming flexibility. However, it may not be the best solution for all.

ChrisV

dpetzel
2012-03-08 20:33:27 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding DNS & IP addresses"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65085#65085

As I understand Zenoss uses the IP for the checks. It allows you to add the Devices using the DNS name it will immidiatly resolve it and store the IP along with the device. I believe all daemons wil then use IP to connect skipping DNS lookup. You should be fine if DNS were down (But you should have Zenoss monitoring your DNS too ;) )

MattRK
2012-03-08 20:38:42 UTC
MattRK [http://community.zenoss.org/people/MattRK] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding DNS & IP addresses"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65086#65086

Excellen! That was my understanding as well. I've run into some issues in the past when ips change and had to manually update the IP in Zenoss. I just wanted to make sure that was the case. My DNS is fairly redundant... but you never know. :)

themactech
2012-03-08 21:30:49 UTC
themactech [http://community.zenoss.org/people/themactech] created the discussion

"Re: Question regarding DNS & IP addresses"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65097#65097

I have some client sites where the DNS server administration is sloppy and they don't populate it well, or don't do reverse resolution.

An elegant solution (at least for me) is to setup the Zenoss server as a DNS server, have it point to itself with an entry for itself, and put the client DNS server as a forwarder.

This way my Zenoss machine has DNS and reverse DNS resolution and will forward out via the client DNS server if needs be.  Then I can populate the DNS entries I need as I wish.  Since none of the other client gear points to the Zenoss machine for DNS, this does not affect their corporate LAN.

Granted we operate in specialized area (video) and IT departments tend to not want to have anything to do with that part of the infrastructure.  This might explain why I have to deal why crappy DNS services so often.

Manuel