zenperfsnmp issues
Justin Simmons
2013-01-16 21:24:16 UTC
Justin Simmons [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jmsimmons] created the discussion

"zenperfsnmp issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71035#71035

Occasionally in Zenoss 4.2.3, I see the following messages in the event console:

"Scan stopped; Collection time exceeded interval - Elaped time ###### seconds greater than 300 seconds"

Looking further at the log, this occurs with the zenperfsnmp service. I've also noticed that when I see this error that graphing of devices stops (cpu, RAM utilization, etc.). Graphing is extremely important to us, so this can be a big problem.

I cannot find a thing on the forums or anywhere else on this message, so if anyone has any ideas that would be great.

Server is running CentOS 5.4, 4 CPUs, 16GB RAM.

2013-01-17 19:47:05 UTC

"Re: zenperfsnmp issues"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71069#71069

This is well documented in earlier zenoss versions. So if you're searching only on 4.2, widen the search to include earlier zenoss versions.

The issue is exactly what it said, it's taking over 300 seconds to scan all SNMP OIDs. This means that either your clients are slow, or you're doing too many devices for your server. This is an issue because it means that a new scan would start before the old one finished...

You could look at multiple collectors also to parallelize it a bit, but that's somewhat complicated to do - make sure you're not timing out on certian devices due to some issue you can resolve there, and see if you're maxing out the devices...