Migrate external RRD to Zenoss
johnnynoc
2011-10-20 21:40:18 UTC
johnnynoc [http://community.zenoss.org/people/johnnynoc] created the discussion

"Migrate external RRD to Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62057#62057

Hello Zenoss-Users,

I have a situation where I've been asked to take an RRD file from Nagios and export the data to another RRD to be used in Zenoss on a daily basis.  Does anyone have suggestions on how this would be done?

My initial thoughts are at the end of the day I would use rrdtool to dump the RRD into an xml, parse the xml for lines that match the date, insert those into another xml file, and use rrdtool create to create an RRD out of the xml.

I really don't believe it's that easy though.  For example, if my RRD contains an RRA for average, min, and max, wouldn't I have to account for those as well?

Thanks in advance,
John

dpetzel
2011-10-21 00:11:56 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Migrate external RRD to Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62058#62058

I'll start by saving, I have not done it, but I believe it might be nearly as easy as you suggest. I thought that the RRA stuff would survive the export/import. I think you might need to contend with the data source name. I believe all Zenoss RRD's have a single data source of 'ds0'. I think Hackman was working with someone on something similar recently, this post talks at a high level what you would need on the zenoss side to actually see the RRD assuming you get the migration piece working.

http://community.zenoss.org/message/61625#61625#61625 http://community.zenoss.org/message/61625#61625

johnnynoc
2011-10-25 22:01:23 UTC
johnnynoc [http://community.zenoss.org/people/johnnynoc] created the discussion

"Re: Migrate external RRD to Zenoss"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62175#62175

Well I guess I'll have to give it a shot and then bother Shane.  :)

Thank you Sir.