Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?
nilie
2012-11-20 18:46:35 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70024#70024

How did you install rrdtools, via rpm or compiling it from source ? Best thing is to install it from rpmforge repository.

Jeff Barnicki
2012-11-20 19:08:34 UTC
Jeff Barnicki [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jebarni] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70011#70011

No, I compilled from source using the following instructions:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-rrdtool-on-rhel-linux/ http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-install-rrdtool-on-rhel-linux/

I will try a reinstall from the rpm and get back to you.

nilie
2012-11-21 19:05:32 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70068#70068

This could possibly be a problem. Since you compiled and installed rrdtools from source, RPM database on the server has no way of knowing it has been added to the system so if Zenoss insallation script is doing a rpm -qa to find about rrdtools it will never get the proper answer. To me it seems like you have both installed, version 1.3.8 via rpm and version 1.4.7 you installed from source. Use yum both to remove existing 1.3 version and to install 1.4 from rpmforge.

Ryan Matte
2012-11-22 22:57:51 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70105#70105

Yeah, compiling from source isn't going to work.  Has to be installed from RPM since RPM is checking it's repository for the version.

Ryan Matte
2012-11-22 22:58:26 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70106#70106

Just use the auto-deploy script that's detailed on the download page.  It'll automatically install all of the packages that you need.

Jeff Barnicki
2012-11-26 18:59:25 UTC
Jeff Barnicki [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jebarni] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70164#70164

For whatever reason, I could never connect to the remote rpmforge repositories.  I looked at my proxy settings, and they are all correct.  Yum has no issue updating. That is why I had to compile from source.  However, it makes sense that rpm doesn't know it's installed.

I created a local rpm repository and had yum update from that.  Now I get:

Error: Package: rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
           Requires: perl(RRDs)
Error: Package: rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
           Requires: perl(RRDp)

I found the perl packages here: http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rrdtool/ http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rrdtool/, but when I try and install perl(RRD*), I get the following dependency errors:

[***@clbzen4a install]# rpm -ivh perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        librrd.so.4 is needed by perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.i686
        rrdtool = 1.4.7 is needed by perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.i686
[***@clbzen4a install]# rpm -ivh perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        librrd.so.4()(64bit) is needed by perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64
        rrdtool = 1.4.7 is needed by perl-rrdtool-1.4.7-1.el6.rfx.x86_64

So, in order for me to install perl-rrdtool, I need rrdtool installed.  But, I can't install rrdtool because perl-rrdtool is not installed.

I will look for and try the auto-deploy script.

I'll let you know how I do.

Thanks for everyone's help.

nilie
2012-11-27 00:18:34 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70167#70167

You would better troubleshoot and correct the access to rpmforge because this repository is being hevily used during the installation of Zenoss Core.

Randy Santos
2012-11-20 20:52:18 UTC
Randy Santos [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rsantos12184] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70031#70031

Can't remeber exactly what packages but sometimes i had to install both the 64bit and 32bit versions to get something to work.. i know one was definetely the zlib to get vmware CLI to work.

Andrew Kirch
2012-11-27 07:45:03 UTC
Andrew Kirch [http://community.zenoss.org/people/akirch] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70169#70169

Jeff,
Hi, I'm the Community Manager at Zenoss, and I contribute to that script.  I want to clarify that it's NOT a trial version of any sort.  Zenoss Core is GPL.  Zenoss Enterprise is a commercially licensed product with some cool additional features, especially if you have a lot of Cisco gear.  A caution, 4.2 really would be a .0 release except for an a slightly odd internal release count system, and while it works quite nicely for most cases, and the event management is WAY better than 3.x, it does still have a few rough edges.  Please install the community service pack linked at the top as well.  Instructions for all this, and a LOT of documentation are avialable.
I think this link will be of help:  http://wiki.zenoss.org/Install_Zenoss Wiki Install Guide

Good luck!

Jeff Barnicki
2012-12-05 23:13:55 UTC
Jeff Barnicki [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jebarni] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70359#70359

Thanks for everyones help.  I did a fresh OS install and am attempting to use the auto-deploy script.

After editing the config files for yum and wget to use our proxy for http, https and ftp, for some reason I manually had to rpm import the RPM-GPG-KEY-zenoss.  That is no big deal.

Now I get stuck trying to connect to the EPEL repository. The mirror that is defined in /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo can't be connected to. A "yum repo list" yields "Error: Cannot retrieve metalink for repository: epel. "

It gets stuck here:

yum --enablerepo=epel -y --nogpgcheck localinstall rabbitmq-server-2.8.4-1.noarch.rpm

and can't find EPEL repository.
Updating certificate-based repositories.
Unable to read consumer identity
Setting up Local Package Process
Examining rabbitmq-server-2.8.4-1.noarch.rpm: rabbitmq-server-2.8.4-1.noarch
Marking rabbitmq-server-2.8.4-1.noarch.rpm to be installed
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/x86_64/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] PYCURL ERROR 7 - "Failed to connect to 2607:f188::dead:beef:cafe:fed1: Network is unreachable"
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: epel. Please verify its path and try again
*****************

RedHat Enterprise support does not support the EPEL Repository as it is a part of Fedora.

I'm attempting to install rabbitmq-server manually, but it needs erlang as a prerequisite and erlang requires libodbc.so.1 as  a prerequisite, which I'm trying to find.

Ideally, I would like to get EPEL working so I can finally install this this.

C James
2012-12-06 15:06:11 UTC
C James [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Smiler] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70392#70392

Hi Jeff,

I had the same issue with the epel repo and rabbitmq - I modded the epel.repo to pass over http instead of https and it worked 1st time.

Hope that helps
CJ

Jeff Barnicki
2012-12-06 15:59:59 UTC
Jeff Barnicki [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jebarni] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70395#70395

Thanks CJ, I have already tried that and I got the same results.

I've contacted the firewall admin to allow unrestricted access to the internet.  I'll keep you informed.

C James
2012-12-06 16:16:06 UTC
C James [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Smiler] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70398#70398

Hi Jeff,

Thats a shame :(     I think I only modded the first mirrorlist line just to test it and it worked first time...
Just as a precaution here's the top section of my epel.repo if you would like to give it another go.  Modded line in bold.

#baseurl= http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/$basearch http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/$basearch
mirrorlist= *http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-6&arch=$basearch http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=epel-6&arch=$basearch*

Cheers
CJ

nilie
2012-12-06 16:27:34 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70400#70400

The error message says your server can't reach the repo over IPv6. Is your internal network and Internet access IPv6 only ?

Jeff Barnicki
2012-12-06 16:53:50 UTC
Jeff Barnicki [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jebarni] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70403#70403

Our entire network is IPv4.

nilie
2012-12-06 17:45:36 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70405#70405

In case it is enabled, try disabling IPv6 on your server.

Jeff Barnicki
2012-12-06 20:37:05 UTC
Jeff Barnicki [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jebarni] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70383#70383

Thank you everyone for your help.  I finally got the thing installed!  I couldn't have done it without your support.

I had talked to the network and firewall admins and was informed that the server was only allowed to use the proxy to access a few trusted sites.  When the permission was changed to unrestricted access, Zenoss Core installed with no problem.

So, in short:

1. Use the auto-deploy script to avoid my first issues
2. If going through a proxy, configure wget and yum  to use http, https and ftp and verify that the server has unrestricted internet access.

That is it.  My next install should only take an hour!

C James
2012-12-18 16:05:11 UTC
C James [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Smiler] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70621#70621

Hi Jeff,

Really glad to hear you got it sorted :)    Might be helpful for others if you could post examples of the steps you used to configure http, https, ftp and wget to pass via your proxy...  I know this caused me some pain when I did my inital build and I never found anything during my searching of the zenoss groups..   Then again I wouldn't rule that out as a issue with me LOL..

Just a thought and glad to hear your all working..

CJ

PS..  Using the install script did your network map feature work straight away?  I'm still having trouble with this and am now considering a re-build!.  All I get is a grey bar and I know it's not a client side Flash issue.

Jeff Barnicki
2012-12-19 22:48:20 UTC
Jeff Barnicki [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jebarni] created the discussion

"Re: Problems Installing Zenoss 4.2 Core on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.3 On VMWare?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70662#70662

Hi CJ,

I handed the server over to the Network Admin for configuration.  When he gets in I'll ask him if the Network Map feature worked.  I assume it did, because I didn't hear any complaints from him, but I will find out for sure.

Here's what I did on the network side to get the auto-deploy script to work.

  I have a VM Ware instance of RedHat 6.3, so I installed the Current VMWare tools and configured the network settings via setup. I edited  /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth0 to turn the virtual network card on at reboot - *ONBOOT=yes*

  I started the network service:

#service network start

THIS IS WHAT I DID TO GET THROUGH OUR PROXY:

The person who manages the firewall and/or proxy needs to set up a user account with unlimited internet access, at least for the install.  A lot of my frustration was that the user was only able to access RedHat YUM updates and a hand full of other sites.  IT NEEDS TO HAVE FULL UNLIMITED INTERNET ACCESS DURING THE INSTALL.

I edited /etc/wgetrc and added our proxy server and the user ID and password.  Verify the proxy server name and port with your admin:

# You can set the default proxies for Wget to use for http, https, and ftp.
# They will override the value in the environment.
#https_proxy = http://proxy.yoyodyne.com:18023/ http://proxy.yoyodyne.com:18023/
#http_proxy = http://proxy.yoyodyne.com:18023/ http://proxy.yoyodyne.com:18023/
*ftp_proxy = http://proxy1.yourdomain.us:80 http://proxy1.yourdomain.us:80*
*http_proxy = http://proxy1.yourdomain.us:80 http://proxy1.yourdomain.us:80*
*https_proxy = https://proxy1.yourdomain.us:80 https://proxy1.yourdomain.us:80*
*proxy-user = redhat*
*proxy-password = redhat_password*

I edited /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date to also access the internet via our proxy:

# Automatically generated Red Hat Update Agent config file, do not edit.
# Format: 1.0
disallowConfChanges[comment]=Config options that can not be overwritten by a config update action
disallowConfChanges=noReboot;sslCACert;useNoSSLForPackages;noSSLServerURL;serverURL
networkRetries[comment]=Number of attempts to make at network connections before giving up
networkRetries=5
hostedWhitelist[comment]=RHN Hosted URL's
hostedWhitelist=
enableProxy[comment]=Use a HTTP Proxy
*enableProxy=1*
serverURL[comment]=Remote server URL
serverURL= https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC https://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC
proxyPassword[comment]=The password to use for an authenticated proxy
*proxyPassword=redhat_password*
proxyUser[comment]=The username for an authenticated proxy
*proxyUser=redhat*
versionOverride[comment]=Override the automatically determined system version
versionOverride=
sslCACert[comment]=The CA cert used to verify the ssl server
sslCACert=/usr/share/rhn/RHNS-CA-CERT
debug[comment]=Whether or not debugging is enabled
debug=0
httpProxy[comment]=HTTP proxy in host:port format, e.g. squid.redhat.com:3128
*httpProxy=proxy1.yourdomain.us:80*
systemIdPath[comment]=Location of system id
systemIdPath=/etc/sysconfig/rhn/systemid
enableProxyAuth[comment]=To use an authenticated proxy or not
enableProxyAuth=1
noReboot[comment]=Disable the reboot actions
noReboot=0

After that, I ran the auto-deploy script and Zenoss installed quickly and without issue.