Problem with WMI - Zenoss wmic
stevez
2012-04-09 18:33:03 UTC
stevez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/stevez] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with WMI - Zenoss wmic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65776#65776

Was this ever resolved? I'm experiencing a similar problem. On one domain WMI works locally on servers and remotely between Windows servers using wbemtest. WMI fails with these same errors from the wmic/zenoss. WMIC can reach servers in another domain just fine. It is located on the same subnet with no local firewalls running. I am using an account which is in the domain admins group (agian it works locally and remotely from other windows servers).

stevez
2012-04-13 13:00:10 UTC
stevez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/stevez] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with WMI - Zenoss wmic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65882#65882

I've found the main difference is that the problem domain is Windows Server 2008 R2 functional level. Does anynoe else have wmic/other daemons working againsts this setup? I'm not talking about just a server 2008 box, I'm talking a domain functional level of Server 2008 R2. It seems NTLM uses 128-bit encryption and I'm not sure if wmic works properly with it.

Getting the classic bad password error from WMIC:

[***@zenossbackup]$ wmic -U 'DOMAIN\username' //172.16.22.222 "select * from Win32_ComputerSystem"
Password for [DOMAIN\username]:
[librpc/rpc/dcerpc_util.c:1290:dcerpc_pipe_auth_recv()] Failed to bind to uuid 4d9f4ab8-7d1c-11cf-861e-0020af6e7c57 - NT_STATUS_NET_WRITE_FAULT
[librpc/rpc/dcerpc_connect.c:790:dcerpc_pipe_connect_b_recv()] failed NT status (c0000022) in dcerpc_pipe_connect_b_recv
[wmi/wmic.c:196:main()] ERROR: Login to remote object.
NTSTATUS: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED - Access denied

Seeing Event ID 4625 in the security logs on the server as well indicating unknown name or bad password.

The account is a domain admin, the password is definitely entered correctly (i can log in elsewhere, can send the same accountname/password to a machine in a 2003 domain with no problem)

Only thing I can think of is WMIC is not compatible with the NTLM encryption on 2008 R2 domains.

Can anyone confirm or blow this out of the water?

2012-04-17 13:40:38 UTC

"Re: Problem with WMI - Zenoss wmic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65931#65931

I just tested your query on one of my domain controllers on a Server 2008 R2 domain functional level system, and after it prompted me for my admin password, worked as I'd expect - with a table of information...

stevez
2012-04-17 13:49:17 UTC
stevez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/stevez] created the discussion

"Re: Problem with WMI - Zenoss wmic"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65933#65933

Thanks James - appreciate it greatly. Probably something specific to my domain.