Zenoss does not properly map Netscreen SSG520 interfaces
eangel
2012-10-09 10:35:43 UTC
eangel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/eangel] created the discussion

"Zenoss does not properly map Netscreen SSG520 interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68938#68938

Hi all,

I have a Netscreen SSG520 that Zenoss struggles to map.
When I try to model the device Zenoss seems to mix up the interfaces and addresses. I can see that if I try to do a snmpwalk from the command line it ends with an error:

Error: OID not increasing: IP-FORWARD-MIB::ipCidrRouteDest.10.30.0.1.255.255.255.0.0.0.0.0.0
= IP-FORWARD-MIB::ipCidrRouteDest.10.30.0.0.255.255.0.0.0.10.30.0.2
snmpwalk has a workaround for this, I can add a switch '-C c' and it will proceed happily.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue that confuses Zenoss, but would like to know if it is possible to add something to the Zenoss to make it parse the output correctly? From what I understand, the error is actually a fault with the Netscreen, but if there is a workaround around somewhere I would like to try it.

I have seen old messages in the forum asking about this, but as far as I can tell no answer has been presented. The fault occurs on both 3.2 and 4.2.

br
mario;

Ryan Matte
2012-10-12 09:58:01 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss does not properly map Netscreen SSG520 interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69086#69086

Twisted, the library that Zenoss uses to poll SNMP, is going to expect that OID values increase in an OID table (rather than decrease which is what is happening there).  Other than hacking away at the actual twisted library I doubt there's any easy way to fix that.  That's just another vendor with a very sloppy SNMP implementation.  Completely omitting the steps for collecting the IP address data from the collector plugin might fix it, if you feel up to editing the code to try.  There is no pre-packaged solution for this currently out there to my knowledge.  I've monitored lots of Netscreen devices and I've never come across this issue, so I guess I just never hit that particular model of Netscreen.

eangel
2012-10-12 11:40:57 UTC
eangel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/eangel] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss does not properly map Netscreen SSG520 interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69100#69100

Thanks for answering.

I agree that it seems like a bug in the Netscreen device. I too monitor a lot of other Netscreens and have no problems with it. This is the first time I encounter a problem like this. I see that there is a newer version of the Netscreen firmware available. I will try updating it next week. It does contain a bunch of SNMP related fixes, so if I'm lucky it will fix mine.