Device listed as stopped when it is not
COMPUTER KING
2012-09-14 02:26:25 UTC
COMPUTER KING [http://community.zenoss.org/people/c0mputerking] created the discussion

"Device listed as stopped when it is not"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68565#68565

Hello all i have found some time to try setting up zenoss again and have moved to the latest and greatest 4.2 on centos 6 64-bit
I have struggled through getting snmp working on a couple of my debian and ubuntu machines so i can monitor them.
Actually it was fairly easy once i found the trouble shooting docs so i got snmp working by installing it apt-get install snmpd and then using this and only this line to snmpd.conf "rocommunitypublic"

So sure enough i have a bunch of stuff being monitored but some of my hosts are listed as down even though they are not.

What could be going on with this please help

PS not sure if matters but these machines are OpenVZ machines of which i am trying to get the OpenVZ zenpack working but that is another post.

COMPUTER KING
2012-09-14 18:19:36 UTC
COMPUTER KING [http://community.zenoss.org/people/c0mputerking] created the discussion

"Re: Device listed as stopped when it is not"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68596#68596

Most of my devices are showing as Down still within ZenOSS, which is a real pain how can i trust ZenOSS to monitor my servers when It shows them as Down when they are definatly not.

Last night late i installed Zabbix and Cacti, and both correctly detect my run states as UP
Strange that ZenOSS is incorrectly displaying them as DOWN Please help.

dhopp
2012-09-14 18:33:52 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: Device listed as stopped when it is not"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68597#68597

From the zenoss server can you ping these devices?  If you can't ping them it will report them as down.  If you won't be able to monitor ping you can set the Configuration Property zPingMonitorIgnore to true for the devices and it won't try to ping.

--Dennis

COMPUTER KING
2012-09-14 19:10:43 UTC
COMPUTER KING [http://community.zenoss.org/people/c0mputerking] created the discussion

"Re: Device listed as stopped when it is not"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68600#68600

Yes i can ping all devices marked down from the ZenOSS server also i can ping from the device to the server so ping works both ways, but hosts are still marked as Down

dhopp
2012-09-15 00:26:59 UTC
dhopp [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dhopp] created the discussion

"Re: Device listed as stopped when it is not"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68588#68588

What events are active events are there for the devices?

COMPUTER KING
2012-09-24 21:06:21 UTC
COMPUTER KING [http://community.zenoss.org/people/c0mputerking] created the discussion

"Re: Device listed as stopped when it is not"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/68724#68724

Not exactly sure what you mean by active events i have closed all the down events and new down events reappear right away.

here is a ping report no problem with pings

ping 174.X.X.X
PING 174.X.X.X (174.X.X.X) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 174.X.X.X: icmp_req=1 ttl=57 time=41.1 ms
64 bytes from 174.X.X.X: icmp_req=2 ttl=57 time=43.7 ms