IP service smtp is down
jeff.thorne
2013-08-21 15:10:53 UTC
jeff.thorne [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jeff.thorne] created the discussion

"IP service smtp is down"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74428#74428

I have to Centos Servers that have this error. I have multiple Centos servers in a group in Zenoss. They all have the same configuration. I have checked port 25 is open and listening on the servers. I have restarted the postfix service multiple times. Have added more time to the zStatusConnectTimeout but still no help. I also have restarted the servers but still the same problem.

kb8u
2013-08-21 16:35:08 UTC
kb8u [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kb8u] created the discussion

"Re: IP service smtp is down"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74417#74417

Are you sure the problem is in zenoss?  From the command line on your zenoss host, try
telnet <IP address> 25
If it doesn't connect, it's not a zenoss problem.

jeff.thorne
2013-08-21 18:20:37 UTC
jeff.thorne [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jeff.thorne] created the discussion

"Re: IP service smtp is down"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74431#74431

Telnet isn't going to work turned it off on the server. The issue might be with postfix because the other servers that are running without any problems have qmail on them. Will look there and see if that is the problem.

kb8u
2013-08-21 18:38:07 UTC
kb8u [http://community.zenoss.org/people/kb8u] created the discussion

"Re: IP service smtp is down"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74418#74418

I think you're confusing the telnet program on the zenoss host with the telnetd daemon on your SMTP server.

The 25 on the end of
telnet <IP address> 25
will change the default port that the telnet program uses from 23 (telnet port) to the SMTP port
The purpose of this test is not to start keyboard interaction with the telnetd daemon (or the SMTP daemon for that matter), but simply to test if you can successfully get a TCP port 25 connection from the zenoss host to the mail server.