Error executing action User on set(['User@Corp.Com'])
Christian Scott
2012-10-30 19:38:29 UTC
Christian Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ChristianCScott] created the discussion

"Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69616#69616

I have been using Zenoss 4.2 enjoyable for a few months now and I have recently encountered a puzzeling issue since I have installed ZenPacks.community.powerware-1.0-py2.7; ever since doing so alerts will not send via email and I get the following error:

Resource:          localhost
Component:          zenactiond
Event Class:          /App/Failed
Message:           Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 244, in execute self.executeBatch(notification, signal, targets) File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 329, in executeBatch user, password File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/Utils.py", line 725, in sendEmail if len(usr): server.login(usr, pwd) TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()
Event Management...
agent
component          zenactiond
dedupid          localhost|zenactiond|/App/Failed|3|Error executing action *user* on set(['***@***.Com'])
eventClass          /App/Failed
eventClassKey
eventClassMapping
eventGroup
eventKey
eventState          New
evid          0018fe73-efdc-8c18-11e2-22c3607d0820
facility
message          Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 244, in execute self.executeBatch(notification, signal, targets) File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 329, in executeBatch user, password File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/Utils.py", line 725, in sendEmail if len(usr): server.login(usr, pwd) TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()
ntevid
priority
severity          3
summary          Error executing action *User* on set(['***@***.Com'])

Interesting enough, when I send test emails manually, they are sent and received without any issues (not an SMTP connectivity issue).
I have uninstalled the zenpack and restarted Zenoss; but the issue continues to persist.
I checked to see the zenpack somehow modified any file structure but it looks like both actions.py and and Utils.py are unchanged since the day of install.

Does anyone have any ideas? Currently my limited knowledge of python and the internal functions of zenoss make this a little difficult to figure out.
Help is highly appreciated.

Additional Information:
Log has been redacted for the username and email
Centos 6.2
zenoss-4.2.0-1586.el6.x86_64

pwarren
2012-10-31 04:57:58 UTC
pwarren [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pwarren] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69623#69623

This appears to be an issue with an email notification where the SMTP user is set to None instead of the empty string. You can temporarily work around the issue by changing line 725 of /opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/Utils.py from:

        if len(usr): server.login(usr, pwd)

to:

        if usr: server.login(usr, pwd)

Can you please open a JIRA issue with any steps to reproduce this issue?

Thanks,

Philip Warren

Christian Scott
2012-10-31 12:37:25 UTC
Christian Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ChristianCScott] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69643#69643

Hi Philip,
Thanks for the reply,

I made the change to Utils.py and restarted Zenoss but I seem to still get the same error message.
| Message: | Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 244, in execute self.executeBatch(notification, signal, targets) File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 329, in executeBatch user, password File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/Utils.py", line 725, in sendEmail if usr: server.login(usr, pwd) TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len() |

Right now I am trying to reproduce the issue, once I have ascertained the steps to reproduce the issue, I'll open a JIRA on it.

Thanks,

Philip Warren
2012-10-31 13:36:02 UTC
Philip Warren [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pwarren] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69644#69644

A bit surprised that it didn't work. Was the 'zenactiond' daemon properly restarted after making the change?

--
Philip Warren

Christian Scott
2012-10-31 15:09:35 UTC
Christian Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ChristianCScott] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69645#69645

I just restarted the zenactiond as well as zope and it seems that I do not get the error message anymore; but emails still will not send on alerts.

Any additional thoughts?

Philip Warren
2012-10-31 15:53:16 UTC
Philip Warren [http://community.zenoss.org/people/pwarren] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69646#69646

Is the notification set to 'Send on initial occurrence'? Are you generating a new event to test the email sending? It would be useful to run 'zenactiond debug' to put the daemon in debug mode and gather the relevant time period in the logs to see if there are any other issues.

Thanks,

Philip

Christian Scott
2012-10-31 16:51:01 UTC
Christian Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ChristianCScott] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69648#69648

I have the appropriate notifications and triggers setup; "Enabled", "Send Clear" and "Send only on initial occurence"; I have been generating test events as well as been watching new real events pass through zenoss without notifications.

This is what I have from /opt/zenoss/log/zenactiond.log once I enabled debugging; when I generate a new event to test I do not see it populate anything related in the log.

2012-10-31 12:20:53,640 INFO zen: Setting logging level to DEBUG
2012-10-31 12:21:47,331 DEBUG zen.Schedule: Waiting 2289.669607 seconds
2012-10-31 12:21:47,504 INFO zen.maintenance: Performing periodic maintenance
2012-10-31 12:21:47,504 DEBUG zen.maintenance: calling hearbeat sender
2012-10-31 12:21:47,504 DEBUG zen.maintenance: sending heartbeat monitor: "localhost"
daemon: "zenactiond"
timeout_seconds: 180

2012-10-31 12:21:47,505 DEBUG zen.zenoss.protocols.amqp: Publishing with routing key zenoss.heartbeat.localhost to exchange zenoss.heartbeats
2012-10-31 12:21:47,505 DEBUG zen.maintenance: Rescheduling maintenance in 60s
2012-10-31 12:22:47,339 DEBUG zen.Schedule: Waiting 2229.661549 seconds
2012-10-31 12:22:47,505 INFO zen.maintenance: Performing periodic maintenance
2012-10-31 12:22:47,506 DEBUG zen.maintenance: calling hearbeat sender
2012-10-31 12:22:47,506 DEBUG zen.maintenance: sending heartbeat monitor: "localhost"
daemon: "zenactiond"
timeout_seconds: 180

Christian Scott
2012-10-31 17:54:56 UTC
Christian Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ChristianCScott] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69649#69649

After stopping and starting all of zenoss again, the messages come back as:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 244, in execute self.executeBatch(notification, signal, targets) File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 329, in executeBatch user, password File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenUtils/Utils.py", line 725, in sendEmail if usr: server.login(usr, pwd) TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

Im thinking that a full install is going to be required. Ill update on if it works or not.

Christian Scott
2012-10-31 20:27:13 UTC
Christian Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ChristianCScott] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69651#69651

Uninstalled zenpacks and Zenoss; reinstalled Zenoss, zenpacks and restored my back up from today.
Still exhibiting the same issue. Ill have to go back to my backup before the powerware zenpack was installed. :\

Rauf Ism
2012-11-09 17:09:32 UTC
Rauf Ism [http://community.zenoss.org/people/R27] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69808#69808

Have exactly same issue with email. Any ideas?

Christian Scott
2012-11-15 19:59:49 UTC
Christian Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ChristianCScott] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69958#69958

Unfortunately I had to revert back to my last backup that did not have the issue. Reinstalling Zenoss and applying a current backup doesnt fix the issue.

When/What did you do before the issue started occurring? Any new Zenpacks get installed or anything?
The more details you have the more likely I can deduce the cause in my Jira write-up.

larve larve
2012-11-22 20:38:34 UTC
larve larve [http://community.zenoss.org/people/larve] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/70095#70095

Same thing here. Tried everything, currently no email from 4.2...  any solutions?

Gr,
Larve

Velko Bundale
2013-02-08 08:16:19 UTC
Velko Bundale [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Velimirmkd] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71423#71423

I have the same problem with Zenoss not sending email alerts.  Its really unreliable as it sometimes sends alerts then at some point it will decide to stop sending alerts via email with the following  error:
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 244, in execute self.executeBatch(notification, signal, targets) File "/opt/zenoss/Products/ZenModel/actions.py", line 338, in executeBatch (notification.id, targets, errorMsg) ActionExecutionException: Notification 'RyarcEvents' FAILED to send emails to set(['***@yyy.com (mailto:'***@yyy.com)']): <class 'smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected'> - Connection unexpectedly closed

Axis
2013-03-27 17:59:50 UTC
Axis [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Axis] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72622#72622

I recently had the same thing happening to me where Zenoss just stopped sending email alerts and would give the same error messages. Turns out under settings -> SMTP Host had reverted back to local host instead of my email server. Once I typed in the server address again everything worked correctly.

locohost
2013-04-30 19:49:58 UTC
locohost [http://community.zenoss.org/people/locohost] created the discussion

"Re: Error executing action User on set(['***@Corp.Com'])"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73013#73013

I came across this thread while googling the same error.  My issue ended up being that I did not notice that there was also an stmp host  (default to localhost) and send address specified in the notification profile under triggers that was overriding the correct setting I had under Advanced --> settings.

This also explained why I was pulling my hair out over not being able to capture the smtp transaction with a tcpdump on em1

--Jordan