When I remove a device, ZenPing, ZenPerfSNMP and Zencommand don't start
transistor2000
2012-04-17 17:55:41 UTC
transistor2000 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/transistor2000] created the discussion

"Re: When I remove a device, ZenPing, ZenPerfSNMP and Zencommand don't start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65941#65941

Greetings,
We are experiencing the same issue in our environment.  Can you confirm the code snippet referenced prior works to resolve this problem? We are unfamiliar with the python script and do not want to cause any adverse effects to our environment.

Thanks!
MP

Ryan Matte
2012-04-17 20:20:48 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: When I remove a device, ZenPing, ZenPerfSNMP and Zencommand don't start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65952#65952

The snippet won't cause adverse effects.  If you don't have the issue the code is harmless.

transistor2000
2012-04-18 18:50:45 UTC
transistor2000 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/transistor2000] created the discussion

"Re: When I remove a device, ZenPing, ZenPerfSNMP and Zencommand don't start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65949#65949

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

Could you offer an explanation as to what the script does exactly and how it works. We just want to have an understanding of the impact. Any way you could test this and generate some output?

Thanks again,
MP

Ryan Matte
2012-04-18 19:03:19 UTC
Ryan Matte [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rmatte] created the discussion

"Re: When I remove a device, ZenPing, ZenPerfSNMP and Zencommand don't start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65958#65958

This code has been in use for years.  I've run it several times on my production Zenoss systems.  I can assure you that it's safe.  The code checks the Monitor table that the daemons use to decide what devices to collect info for.  It checks to make sure that each of the monitors in this table have a corresponding device that exists.  If they don't it removes them.  When you remove a device Zenoss is supposed to do this automatically but sometimes it doesn't and you end up with performance monitors that don't have an existing device.  That causes all sorts of fun issues.

transistor2000
2012-04-20 13:35:13 UTC
transistor2000 [http://community.zenoss.org/people/transistor2000] created the discussion

"Re: When I remove a device, ZenPing, ZenPerfSNMP and Zencommand don't start"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/66000#66000

Thanks for your help.  The code solved the problem.