process monitoring via snmp vs ssh
briffle
2012-08-16 15:50:15 UTC
briffle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/briffle] created the discussion

"process monitoring via snmp vs ssh"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/67907#67907

I currently use SNMP to monitor a few processes.  With the regex of "pmon", we sometimes monitor 15 instances of the oracle database process on a server.

I have noticed that from time to time, well; at least 3 times a week, the server will suddenly think all processes are not running, and then send alerts. (our production servers also send emails to our text address, so those 15 alert emails become 45 text messages)  As soon as we get the alert, the problem clears itself.

Its driving us nuts.  Get woken up with 45 texts (which take a few min to come through) and then 45 more to clear it.  (not to mention, the poor saps that only have 300 texts a month on their cell plan :) )

Would we be better off using SSH to monitor these hosts?  or is there something else we can do to make the process monitoring more reliable? (btw, we have a 90 second delay on emails for 'critical' servers) we are trying to balance the 'need to know' with false alerts..