Bandwidth consumed by an interface
Diana Gutierrez
2013-04-30 17:58:26 UTC
Diana Gutierrez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpgutierrez] created the discussion

"Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73012#73012

Hello, I am looking for a way to generate a report that shows the total bandwidth consumed by an interface, however I have seen that this is only possible with Enterprise ZenPack Reports, can someone help me generate this report in Zenoss Core without using the enterprise ZenPack reports???

rtelford
2013-05-01 00:23:32 UTC
rtelford [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rtelford] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73014#73014

Hi there,

You question is a little ambiguous. Are you looking for the maxium thoughput rate, or the aggregate byte count though the interface?

I have a script that runs over the RRD files and generates the 95th percentil for the last 7 days, this could easily be modified to report the MAX over the last day. I output these to splunk for automated reporting purposes.

If you are after the byte count however, that is a much harder problem. You probably need to turn on some kind of real accounting (radius or netflow) on your device.

Cheers,
Rod.

Diana Gutierrez
2013-05-01 03:09:15 UTC
Diana Gutierrez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpgutierrez] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73015#73015

Thank you for your response, what I need is to get the bandwidth that is consumed on an interface, either monthly or weekly, as shown in this picture Loading Image... Loading Image...

vitaly_il
2013-05-01 07:32:48 UTC
vitaly_il [http://community.zenoss.org/people/vitaly_il] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73037#73037

Hmm..
At least in 2.4 version this report is available in core version together with all other reports -

  / http://zenoss-il.vringo.com:8080/zport/dmd/Reports Reports  / http://zenoss-il.vringo.com:8080/zport/dmd/Reports/Performance%20Reports Performance Reports  / http://zenoss-il.vringo.com:8080/zport/dmd/Reports/Performance%20Reports/Interface%20Utilization Interface Utilization

Diana Gutierrez
2013-05-02 14:41:56 UTC
Diana Gutierrez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpgutierrez] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73063#73063

Thanks, I'm using this version of Zenoss core and the report that you mention I've seen in /Reports/Performance Reports/Interface Utilization, however this displays information in Kbps/Mbps and refers to the transfer rate, but what I need is the total bandwidth consumed, read that through Enterprise Reports ZenPack I can get this information, but can not find a way to get it, ask to Zenoss sales about price of this ZenPack but I did not answer, I'm looking for generate form if possible without this ZenPack.

manish gaikwad
2013-05-02 15:53:03 UTC
manish gaikwad [http://community.zenoss.org/people/mani.gaik] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73065#73065

95th Percentile can help you.

http://community.zenoss.org/message/30051#30051 http://community.zenoss.org/message/30051

vitaly_il
2013-05-02 18:46:13 UTC
vitaly_il [http://community.zenoss.org/people/vitaly_il] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73067#73067

sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Diana Gutierrez
2013-05-02 18:57:16 UTC
Diana Gutierrez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpgutierrez] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73068#73068

ok, I only need the bandwidth consumed by an interface as this image /servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/102-5787-6-2626/report_interface_volume.png Loading Image...
I need the information on MB or GB for a period of time no Kbps or Mbps.

nelliott
2013-05-03 17:41:41 UTC
nelliott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nelliott] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73072#73072

Zenoss uses RRDtool to store interface data.  If you are looking to build a report yourself, this may be useful to you:  http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/total.php http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/total.php

Diana Gutierrez
2013-05-03 22:30:21 UTC
Diana Gutierrez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpgutierrez] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73077#73077

Thanks nelllott, this information are very util, can you help me to configure or use this tool on zenoss for get the report that I need?

nelliott
2013-05-03 23:11:35 UTC
nelliott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nelliott] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73078#73078

I am fairly certain that creating a zenpack to provide this is going to be a fair bit of work; I can't help you with that.  I was just hoping to help point you in the right direction.  Here is another link I found from the RRDtool mailing list that may also be helpful to you:

http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/forum.en.html#nabble-td7083249 http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/forum.en.html#nabble-td7083249

If you aren't wanting to roll up your sleeves and get dirty in order to get this functionality, your best bet is probably to spring for the Enterprise product.  :)

If you wanted to take a shortcut, you could probably just attack this from the command line using rrdtool against your device interface rrd files.  Depending on your needs, that may be all you need, and the folks in the RRD forums may be able to help more with the details on accomplishing that feat.  Again, it's going to require some basic scripting skills... but might be easier than creating full Zenoss integration?

Best of luck to you!

2013-05-06 12:22:56 UTC

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73056#73056

Also, if you don't want to buy Enterprise, you can also look at hiring a Consultant to write just this zenpack for you. It may fit users needs better if they don't need the rest of what Enterprise is (Now, Service Dynamics etc). There are several ZCA consultants that may be willing to talk to you about your needs and of course there are other consultants in the community.

Diana Gutierrez
2013-05-07 15:05:49 UTC
Diana Gutierrez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpgutierrez] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73084#73084

Thanks, I can see that you are a member of ZCA, could you help me to develop this zenpack? or can you recommend me to someone that help me?

Shane Scott
2013-05-07 15:37:09 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73086#73086

Diana,

I'm a consultant in the community. This is something I can develop for you quickly and affordably. Can you email me your requirements to mailto:***@steelhouselabs.com ***@steelhouselabs.com or mailto:***@gmail.com ***@gmail.com?

Have a good one!

Best,
--Shane Scott (hackman238)

Diana Gutierrez
2013-05-07 20:55:38 UTC
Diana Gutierrez [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpgutierrez] created the discussion

"Re: Bandwidth consumed by an interface"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73089#73089

Thanks Shane, I send mail to your account.