Zenoss is misreading process status
Yasha Zislin
2012-02-21 14:46:59 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Zenoss is misreading process status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64643#64643

It seems to me there is an issue with Zenoss.
I have a linux based firewall for which Zenoss monitors a few specific services (OS Processes) in addition to all of the other stuff like interfaces, HD and etc.
Occasionally, Zenoss reports one of these services as down. When I look at the actual device, service is up and running. It's possible that the service was restarted but it is running at the moment. I've seen this happened in the past on other linux based devices and the solution was as follows:
restart the device, remodel it and status of the process is back to green.

I cannot restart this device.
Here is what I've tried already.
- Restarted SNMP on the device.
- Deleted the OS process in zenoss and remodeled. It came back red.
- Clear Heartbeats.
- Push Changes.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Shane Scott
2012-02-21 16:09:19 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss is misreading process status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64660#64660

Yasha:

I'm not suprised. It does work better in v4, but some processes just don't monitor correctly. I'm uncertain if it's really a problem with ZenOSS or if its an issue with net-snmp implementations. What process is giving you trouble? One we cannot get working is syslog supervisor.

--Shane

Yasha Zislin
2012-02-21 16:28:57 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss is misreading process status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64645#64645

Version 4 of Zenoss is out??

I started digging deeper and found out with snmpwalk that status of that service was "not running" even though the service is running.

I am trying to specify in snmpd.conf to monitor that proc specifically. Maybe that will work better.
Dont know yet.

Thanks.

Shane Scott
2012-02-21 16:32:02 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss is misreading process status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64664#64664

Yasha:

V4 is out for enterprise and V4 alpha is out for the community.

http://community.zenoss.org/blogs/zenossblog/2012/01/31/core-4-alpha-is-now-available http://community.zenoss.org/blogs/zenossblog/2012/01/31/core-4-alpha-is-now-available

--Shane

Yasha Zislin
2012-02-21 20:03:05 UTC
Yasha Zislin [http://community.zenoss.org/people/yzislin] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss is misreading process status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64677#64677

I see.

So for my problem, after some time the status of the service on the actual device through snmp is runnable. But zenoss is still reporting service as down.

Do you know if there is a place where I can reset in zenoss the status of this service or something like that?

Thanks.

Shane Scott
2012-02-21 20:10:13 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss is misreading process status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64669#64669

Yasha:

Afraid not. You can try restarting zenprocess, but we usually just stop moniting problem processes. Frankly most of the items we'd want to monitor this way we can monitor as a service test (like http, tftp, snmp, etc) more reliably.

--Shane

omeganon
2012-02-21 21:49:13 UTC
omeganon [http://community.zenoss.org/people/omeganon] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss is misreading process status"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64674#64674

http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/ticket/7870 http://dev.zenoss.org/trac/ticket/7870