Permissions Errors During Upgrade
dpetzel
2011-10-27 14:35:03 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Permissions Errors During Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62224#62224

While its a really simply fix, I wanted to call out an issue I've seen when upgrading from 3.0.3 --> 3.1 and now from 3.1 --> 3.2.1.
Daemon: zeoctl /opt/zenoss/bin/zenoss: line 130: /opt/zenoss/bin/zeoctl: Permission denied
For the most part every file in that directory is owned by zenoss/zenoss, except for a select couple (zeoctl being one of them)
ls -alh /opt/zenoss/bin/ | grep root
-rwxr-x---  1 root   root    323 Oct 27 07:13 runzeo
-rwsr-xr-x  1 root   zenoss 9.5K Oct 18 23:04 zensocket
-rwxr-x---  1 root   root    605 Oct 27 07:13 zeoctl
This results in the ECONN REFUSED messages being spit out over and over when it tries to connect. I get around it by hitting CTRL C, resetting the permissions on ZEOCTL and restarting and all seems fine, but figured it might be good to have a check in the upgrade script to ensure proper permissions.

I'm going with the more generous 'a+rx' as opposed to changing the owner as I'm not sure of the impact of changing the file owner.
cd /opt/zenoss/bin/
ls -alh  | grep root | gawk '{print $9}' | xargs chmod a+rx
service zenoss restart
I'm running on RHEL 5.5 and doing an RPM based upgrade.
Again its not a huge deal, its an easy fix, but it would be cool to not have to see deal with it at all in the next upgrade :)

Shane Scott
2011-10-27 19:35:24 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Permissions Errors During Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62246#62246

dpetzle:

Try:

chown zenoss:zenoss /opt/zenoss -Rf
chown root:zenoss /opt/zenoss/bin/zensocket
chmod 04750 /opt/zenoss/bin/zensocket

Best,
--Shane W. Scott(Hackman238)
  ZCA - http://community.zenoss.org/community/zca/blog http://community.zenoss.org/community/zca/blog

dpetzel
2011-10-27 19:39:44 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Permissions Errors During Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62261#62261

Well you dont get the chance I guess is point I'm trying to get across, when I do rpm -U blah.. It takes off running and somewhere in that process resets the permissions such that you get the zeoctl permissions error (still while the upgrade process is happening). Once its near completion you get the ECONN Refused, and you have to CTRL+C and fix the permissions.

Whether I use your command (which are probably better), the reality is the upgrade changes the permissions. Everything works fine before upgrade, and after once permissions are adjusted.

I'm just suggesting that the permission fix should be incorporated into the upgrade script, thus not requiring manual intervention.

I do appreciate the revised permission commands though.

Shane Scott
2011-10-27 19:47:41 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Permissions Errors During Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62248#62248

dpetzel:

Oh man, sorry. I didn't read your entire post so I jumped to the conclusion you needed the permissions. :)

That's strange, I can't say I've seen the rpm do that. Is your zenoss user id = 1337?

dpetzel
2011-10-27 19:50:49 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Permissions Errors During Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62264#62264

Roger that 1337.

Yeah I have other test boxes on which it doesnt happen either. I'm curious what the permissions for other folks. Also wondering if our 'locked down' umask setting is causing the file to created in a way that prevents the zenoss user from executing it...(thinking out loud)

Shane Scott
2011-10-27 19:59:25 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Permissions Errors During Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/62249#62249

dpetzel:

umask could do it. I can't tihnk of much that would cuase the irregularity. Strange indeed. Definately needs fixing in the installer to handle the case.