SSH Configuration Port Change
Le Dude
2012-03-26 07:18:57 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65455#65455

Hi all.

I just found one more interesting thing and I'd to request your expertise in confirming what I found out.  I have one of my server (server A)ssh port change to say 1234.  I then go to the device server A configuration to change the ssh port to 1234.  However I got an ssh event error on my IP Services and on that even, the port is still showing port 22 rather than 1234.  That would means that IP Services for device server A is still using the default global ssh port at 22 even though I change the port for that specific machine to 1234.  Can someone help me confirm that finding?  Many thanks..

2012-03-26 12:04:35 UTC

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65474#65474

You may want to search the forums on this - I believe it's a known bug and there *may* have been a suggestion where you can patch it, though I don't recall exact details.

Le Dude
2012-03-26 17:34:12 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65481#65481

Thanks James.

I looked but couldn't find the one you mentioned or perhaps I just don't see the relevance to my problem.  I'll keep looking but anyone happens to know what the work around/solution to this problem, I'd really appreciate it.  Many thanks.

Shane Scott
2012-03-26 17:38:19 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65491#65491

Dude:

Have you remodeled the device?

--Shane

Le Dude
2012-03-26 18:35:28 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65483#65483

Shane.

i think i did but just in case, mind showing me the steps again in case i miss something?  thanks for the advise again.  :)

Shane Scott
2012-03-26 18:57:55 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65494#65494

Dude:

Go to the device screen then click the gear icon in the lower left -> model device. Watch for "Changes applied" or "No change detected"

--Shane

Le Dude
2012-03-27 02:02:13 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65485#65485

Shane.

Thanks for the info.  I feel like I'm halucinating here because I'm not seeing what you are talking about.  Did I look at it from the right place?  Again my apology for noob question.  Loading Image... Loading Image... :8}

Le Dude
2012-03-27 02:29:04 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65501#65501

Thanks Shane and apparently nothing.  Which is strange.  I make sure that ssh monitoring is selected and monitored and it keep saying that IP Service ssh is down.  Here is the snapshot

2012-03-26 19:25:40,731 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Connecting to localhost:8789
2012-03-26 19:25:40,740 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Connected to ZenHub
2012-03-26 19:25:40,774 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Collecting for device mymachine.net
2012-03-26 19:25:40,849 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No WMI plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-26 19:25:40,855 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No Python plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-26 19:25:40,858 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No command plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-26 19:25:40,859 INFO zen.ZenModeler: SNMP monitoring off for mymachine.net
2012-03-26 19:25:40,865 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No portscan plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-26 19:25:40,867 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Scan time: 0.09 seconds
2012-03-26 19:25:40,874 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Daemon ZenModeler shutting down

I'm guessing also because port 8789 is not open?

Le Dude
2012-03-27 02:38:10 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65502#65502

Here is the snapshot.  Sorry for the blurry part.  Trying to mask the address.  :-)  FYI, I changed the zCommandPath to /opt/zenoss because that's where I put the check_mysql.sh.  So since I don't use that anymore, I will have to bring it back to default?

Shane Scott
2012-03-27 02:43:41 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65503#65503

Dude:

You'll want to delete the override for zCommandPort. This will cause the device to inherit the default form it's parent container. As for your model the reason it didn't return anything is that snmp monitoring is off for the device. You'll need to turn zSnmpIgnore to false and ensure the device can be walked by zenoss. Zenprocess monitors processes via snmp. As for the service monitoring that's handled sperately and will really only tell you if a service is up or down. Your best bet for monitoring SQL is to use Egors SQL datasource pack to acctually perform queries against mssql and graph / alert off of that.

Best,
--Shane

Le Dude
2012-03-27 23:36:40 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65530#65530

Thanks Shane.

Would you mind elaborate more on what you mean by "delete the override for zCommandPort"?  Do you mean that I need to delete the zCommandPort for that specific device and let it automatically load the global zCommandPort setting?  The reason why I changed only for that specific zCommandPort is because that's the only machine with different port for SSH.  The rest of the machine is still using the standard SSH port.  I'm just testing it.

Also I did change the zSnmpIgnore to false and the first thing it did, was that it tells me that my ipServices SSH is down.  I checked the target machine and the Net-SNMP agent is up.  I'm seriously starting to wonder whether the problem is more because I use SNMP V3.  I ran the SNMPV3 command I created and it walked just fine.  I'm suspecting that the problem is the same with this posting I created http://community.zenoss.org/thread/17622?tstart=0 http://community.zenoss.org/thread/17622?tstart=0 , but I can't figure out whether the location of where zenoss execute the snmp command for zenoss is the same location with the test button per that article.

I have also installed the Egors SQL datasource.  Now I'm going to test it against mysql and see how it goes.  Please help on my ssh based monitoring.  I think with all the issue I have with SNMPV3 and zenoss I started to wonder whether I should just exclusively do the monitoring via SSH.  Except as you can see, I can't even make my ssh to work.  :-(

Le Dude
2012-03-27 23:40:24 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65561#65561

This one looks better but we shall see.  :-)

2012-03-27 16:38:12,405 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Connecting to localhost:8789
2012-03-27 16:38:12,413 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Connected to ZenHub
2012-03-27 16:38:12,446 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Collecting for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:12,524 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No WMI plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:12,527 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No Python plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:12,530 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No command plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:12,537 INFO zen.ZenModeler: SNMP collection device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:12,538 INFO zen.ZenModeler: plugins: zenoss.snmp.NewDeviceMap, zenoss.snmp.DeviceMap, HPDeviceMap, DellDeviceMap, zenoss.snmp.InterfaceMap, zenoss.snmp.RouteMap, zenoss.snmp.IpServiceMap, zenoss.snmp.HRFileSystemMap, zenoss.snmp.HRSWInstalledMap, zenoss.snmp.HRSWRunMap, HPCPUMap, DellCPUMap, DellPCIMap
2012-03-27 16:38:12,623 INFO zen.ZenModeler: No portscan plugins found for mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,195 INFO zen.SnmpClient: snmp client finished collection for mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,195 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Processing zenoss.snmp.NewDeviceMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,196 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing zenoss.snmp.DeviceMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,197 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing HPDeviceMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,197 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing DellDeviceMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,198 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Modeler zenoss.snmp.InterfaceMap processing data for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,200 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing zenoss.snmp.RouteMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,201 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing zenoss.snmp.IpServiceMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,202 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Modeler zenoss.snmp.HRFileSystemMap processing data for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,203 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Skipping Swap space (virtualMemory) as it matches zFileSystemMapIgnoreTypes.
2012-03-27 16:38:23,204 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Skipping Physical memory (ram) as it matches zFileSystemMapIgnoreTypes.
2012-03-27 16:38:23,204 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Skipping Cached memory (other) as it matches zFileSystemMapIgnoreTypes.
2012-03-27 16:38:23,205 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Skipping Memory buffers (other) as it matches zFileSystemMapIgnoreTypes.
2012-03-27 16:38:23,211 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing zenoss.snmp.HRSWInstalledMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,248 INFO zen.ZenModeler: Processing zenoss.snmp.HRSWRunMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,254 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing HPCPUMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,255 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing DellCPUMap for device mymachine.net
2012-03-27 16:38:23,255 INFO zen.ZenModeler: processing DellPCIMap for device mymachine.net

Le Dude
2012-03-27 23:59:02 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65562#65562

mysqld is still erroring as process not running error.  I installed the Egor's SQL datasource.

My ssh is now working after I model the device.  SNMP is also working.  Now I'm just wondering whether I'm overkilling the monitoring by enabling both.  How do I turn off the zCommand (ssh) monitoring.  Since I'm using SNMPV3, I'm guessing it should be pretty safe enough without the need of extra resource with ssh.  Now if I can figure out how to setup my mysqld process monitor, life is good.  Any thought?

Le Dude
2012-03-28 01:09:53 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65563#65563

Thanks Shane.  Got it working now with SNMP and SSH.  Just having problem with Egors SQL datasource pack. I'm guessing it's more of configuration problem since i just installed it and haven't really doing anything with it except adding mysqld monitor and of course, it gave me process error mysqld is down.  Also just to save the resource, I disabled SSH and stick with just SNMP since I'm using V3 and it should be secured enough.  :-)

Shane Scott
2012-03-28 14:31:50 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65560#65560

Dude:

Nice. Egors pack is complex to get working but it's the best. Visit #zenoss on freenode and we can help you better there.

--Shane

Le Dude
2012-03-28 19:45:24 UTC
Le Dude [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ledude] created the discussion

"Re: SSH Configuration Port Change"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65586#65586

Thanks again for your help Shane.  You've been awesome.  :-)