No polling data after upgrade to 4.2.4
Scott Orr
2013-07-19 19:12:00 UTC
Scott Orr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scott_psu] created the discussion

"No polling data after upgrade to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74071#74071

After upgrading to 4.2.4 to fix a few problems I had it appears that zenoss will no longer poll devices. I get errors like "zenhub username/password combination is incorrect" All users are still able to log in, however, it appears that something has happened to the passwords for the daemons.

The instructions posted on the download page for fixing it appear to be backwards from the problem I'm having. It says to copy the encrypted password from hubpasswd to these locations:

global.conf:zodb-password
global.conf:amqppassword
global.conf:zep-password
global.conf:hubpassword
zenjmx.conf:#  zenoss., default:
zenjmx.conf:#hubpassword
zenwinperf.conf:#  zenoss., default:
zenwinperf.conf:#hubpassword
zodb_db_main.conf:    passwd zodb_db_session.conf:    passwd

However, my hubpasswd file only has the entry, which the example also has: admin:zenoss

So what exactly am I supposed to copy, where?

2013-07-19 19:24:19 UTC

"Re: No polling data after upgrade to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74072#74072

Try using the GUI to go to Advanced -> Daemons, then go through each daemon "edit config" and set hub password to "zenoss" and click save. Then see if that helps.

Scott Orr
2013-07-19 20:25:27 UTC
Scott Orr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scott_psu] created the discussion

"Re: No polling data after upgrade to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74073#74073

It looks like I am now able to model devices.
This ran once then failed.

I was able to model a device with a blank password in zenhub daemon and "zenoss" as the password in zen modeler daemon.

Zenhub deamon will not start with zenoss as the password. Niether will zeneventd or zenactiond. However clearing the password box allows these daemons to start.

I am still not gathering performance data. Error log shows 2013-07-19 16:13:51,767 WARNING relstorage.adapters.mysql: Unable to connect: (1045, "Access denied for user 'zenoss'@'localhost' (using password: YES)")

Scott Orr
2013-07-19 21:06:23 UTC
Scott Orr [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scott_psu] created the discussion

"Re: No polling data after upgrade to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74074#74074

It appears that clearing the password fields entirely fixes the problem. The passwords are apparently referenced somewhere else.

jcurry
2013-08-07 16:16:12 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: No polling data after upgrade to 4.2.4"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74314#74314

I agree that the fix given on the wiki is rather "backward".

Note that I HAD installed 4.2.3 with the community install script.  I had a good password in all the files referenced in the wiki install note.  What had changed was that the 4.2.4 install had changed $ZENHOME/etc/hubpasswd to be admin:zenoss.  My fix was to change this file to be admin:<my good password> and restart everything.

The symptoms I was seeing was no polling data appearing anywhere and collector logfiles had messages like:
No service named 'EventService': ZenHub may be disconnected

I have just been through this process and it did work for me (eventually).

Cheers,
Jane