Interface Alert : threshold of high utilization exceeded : current value
Edmond Chan
2013-06-03 03:35:43 UTC
Edmond Chan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/saidee] created the discussion

"Interface Alert : threshold of high utilization exceeded : current value"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73443#73443

Hi everyone,

Just want to know how can I configure the high utilization alert on cisco interface to show the current value using Mbps instead of raw data?

Current showing:
threshold of high utilization exceeded: current value 1001677.690000

Can this be changed to:
threshold of high utilization exceeded: current value 7.64 Mbps

I know this may be done by using transform, however I did not know how to write the transform script, I tried to find out how to write those script from internet but still no idea.

Grateful if someone can help me to figure out how can I achieve this.

Thanks a lot.

Rob Eagle
2013-06-03 12:24:26 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Alert : threshold of high utilization exceeded : current value"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73452#73452

Edmond,
Shane has a pretty good transform that does the trick ( http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13003 http://community.zenoss.org/docs/DOC-13003).
This can also handle discards/errors/packets type threshold events with very little modification.
--Rob

Edmond Chan
2013-06-04 02:51:57 UTC
Edmond Chan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/saidee] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Alert : threshold of high utilization exceeded : current value"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73466#73466

Hi Rob,

Thanks for reply.

I do read the link before you attached and tried to follow the transform but no luck, the alert msg will still show like this,

threshold of high utilization exceeded: current value 1001677.690000

Therefore, I opened this post to ask for another solution.

Rob Eagle
2013-06-05 16:59:04 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Alert : threshold of high utilization exceeded : current value"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73478#73478

Strange, have had that transform or a very similar one to that for a while with no issues.  You on the 4.x train of code?  Could try:
Febreeze the zeneventd.log to verify no code problems
A simple transform like evt.summary == 'Hitting transform" to verify the transform is getting hit.
Maybe continue with a similar transform the link above, but insert evt.summary == evt.component + evt.device in various points of the code to see what is and isn't getting executed.
--Rob

Edmond Chan
2013-06-06 01:14:08 UTC
Edmond Chan [http://community.zenoss.org/people/saidee] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Alert : threshold of high utilization exceeded : current value"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73506#73506

Yes, I am using Zenoss 4.2.3 with CentOS 6.2, may I ask a question?
From this transform,
evt.summary = int_remote + 'High ' + evtNewKey + ' Utilization on interface ' + evt.component + ': Currently (%3.2f Gbps) or %3.2f%% is being used.' %  (Usage, p)

evt.message = int_remote + 'High ' + evtNewKey + ' Utilization on interface ' + evt.component + ': Currently (%3.2f Gbps) or %3.2f%% is being used.' %  (Usage, p)

Do I need to remove either (%3.2f Gbps) or %3.2f%? Or just copy and paste all codes will make it work?

Rob Eagle
2013-06-06 20:08:27 UTC
Rob Eagle [http://community.zenoss.org/people/reagle] created the discussion

"Re: Interface Alert : threshold of high utilization exceeded : current value"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73533#73533

Keep - final summary/message would look something like this:
High Input Utilization on GigabitEthernet3_41(T1ESX103-TST1): Currently (802.94 Mbps) or 80.29%  is being used.

--Rob