Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6
scorpion
2013-06-04 16:39:58 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73484#73484

I am on a new project to upgrade our current version of Zenoss 3.2.1, & the operating system RHEL 5 to 4.2.3 & RHEL 6 respectively on a new vm using

vmware. I am new to this at every level. I didn't know whether it was better or even possible to upgrade in place from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and then try upgrading to

RHEL 6 or to just build a new vm with the later upgrades of each. Well, I have decided to first build the new vm with RHEL 6 & I have installed 4.2.3. However,

my first problem is that when I run a service zenoss status, I get the following error: ZENHOME not set. You must run this script as the zenoss user. So my

first questions to that is with the RPM install, does the zenoss user get setup automatically and if so, what default password is it given. The 2nd problem is that

I can't get to the web interface (8080). In addition, non of the Daemons are running by default. I also wonder, when I do get this up and running, if i'll be able to

migrate the 3.2.1 database to this new version. Any feedback/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

nilie
2013-06-04 17:01:12 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73486#73486

Setting up a new machine with the latest versions of OS and Zenoss is the easiest way to go in my opinion.
With the RPM install, zenoss user is setup automatically and good news it is you don't need to know its password. Just setup sudo so you can change from your user to zenoss using your own password. The RPM setup also installs the scripts for automatic startup of Zenoss, use the chkconfig command as root to make sure it starts at each boot and good old */etc/init.d/zenoss start* to run it and be able to access the web interface.
As for database migration, I never did it myself but I believe I saw a post on this forum that talks about it. Search for migration to version 4.2 related posts.

scorpion
2013-06-05 14:10:31 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73493#73493

nilie, thanks for your feedback. However, I still can't get the web interface to come up. On another approach. If I already have rhel 6 on a vm. What is the best way to install zenoss 3.2.1 ?

scorpion
2013-06-05 17:15:24 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73496#73496

Ok, so I'm making some progress here on at least one of the installs. I'v installed version 3.2.1 on rhel 6. I'm thinking that I might be able to migrate the database from the current working setup which has 3.2.1 & rhel 5. So does anyone have some feedback on how to go about this ? Once I get the old database to the new version of rhel 6, then I plan to migrate to 4.2.3. Any feedback would be appreciated. I'm feverishly scouring through all the forums & discussions.

2013-06-05 18:09:18 UTC

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73479#73479

Remember that v4.2.3 is going to drop old events from the 3.2.1 instance in an upgrade. Plus a lot of Zenpacks need updating. I might just consider re-building a 4.x instance from scratch - that's what I'm doing anyway.

CLASSE Computer Group

scorpion
2013-06-05 18:45:30 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73499#73499

James,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I relayed your message to one of my Senior co-workers. He seems to think we can do without the old events and using the core zenpack. By the way, I did perform an install on a rhel 6 vm and the 4.2 autodeploy script, but I could not get port 8080 to come up on web browser. Did you encounter any errors yet on this install ?

Regards,

Paul Jimenez

nilie
2013-06-05 18:35:42 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73497#73497

Make sure you install the same zenpacks and MIBs on the new server as you have on the old one then do a zenbackup on v5 server, copy the archive to v6 and restore it. Be very careful to the architecture, both servers must be 64bit. Anyway you have nothing to lose here since your old server is still running fine.
As for the migration from Zenoss v3 to v4, remarks made here by James still do apply, there are some architectural differences you must take into account.

scorpion
2013-06-06 16:47:31 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73516#73516

hi nilie,

I've been trying to install the zenpacks for 3.2.1, but I can't seem to get them on there with rpm. I'm doing an rpm -ihv (filename), but then I get the error of failed dependencies:

zenoss >= 3.2.1 is needed by zenoss-core-zenpacks-3.2.1

any ideas ? is there a better/easier method ?

nilie
2013-06-06 18:34:55 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73519#73519

Just to make sure we are both on the same page, I am assuming you are now trying to install Zenoss core v3.2.1 on the new RHEL v6. Once you have this installed correctly, you can restore a backup made on the RHEL v5 Zenoss with the same version (it is not possible to upgrade from 3 to v4 using backup/restore).
First of all you must make sure of the following :
* both Zenoss and the CoreZenpack rpm must be the ones for the new platform (RHEL6)
* both your RHEL5 and RHEL6 must be the 64bit version if you want to preserve performance graphs since RRD files are different for 32bit and 64bit.
* always use "yum install" instead of "rpm -ivh" to install rpm packages

At the command line, please type "rpm -qa | grep -i zenoss" and post here the result.

scorpion
2013-06-10 17:24:20 UTC

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73574#73574

nilie
2013-06-10 20:21:24 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73566#73566

It seems you installed Zenoss Core rpm for RHv5 on your RHv6 server which might be the cause of your problem.
On your RedHat v6, you should install zenoss-3.2.1-1326.*el6*.x86_64
Also you must get all your repositories in order and your server registered with RHN before doing any actual work.

Jared Ready
2013-06-11 17:36:58 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73601#73601

I actually just did this exact thing (except I started on 3.1).

Go download http://community.zenoss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/download/13015-2-6765/zenoss-3.2.1-1326.el6.x86_64.rpm http://community.zenoss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/download/13015-2-6765/zenoss-3.2.1-1326.el6.x86_64.rpm and install it on the RHEL6 box (if you get dependencies issues about liberations-fonts, run with --nodeps). Once you have that up and running, you'll need to install all zenpacks and plugins that you have on the old box.

Now you'll need to copy over the Zope DB and config files. As zenoss user on the old box, stop zopectl and zeoctl and make a copy of $ZENHOME/Data.fs and tar.gz the $ZENHOME/etc directory. Making sure zenoss is stopped on the new box, scp the Data.fs copy and the etc directory over to the new RHEL6 box, replacing the Data.fs and etc directory that is already there.

Start up zenoss again, then run zenmigrate as the zenoss user. This +should+ go through with no issues. From here you can now procede with the 4.2.3 upgrade procedure.

scorpion
2013-06-11 21:26:17 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73602#73602

Jared,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I finally managed to install 3.2.1-1326.el6.x85_64.rpm and the zenoss-core-zenpacks for RHEL6. One of the biggest problems I was having was with dependencies, but even after I specified --nodeps, it would still fail. After following some other suggestions from other users (Nilie & James), I installed those 2 dependencies (liberation-fonts/libaio) and got the server registered and subscribed to Redhat. After doing this and re-installing 3.2.1 once more, it looks like it's stable. I will have to wait for the next steps, because of change management procedurers on the production system to try and migrate/copy that data over. My other question I had right now is that even though I installed the core-zenpacks rom command line, I don't see any of them on th
e web interface ??

Jared Ready
2013-06-11 21:40:40 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73603#73603

Scorpion,

There would be no changes of your production box when copying that data. Shutting down zopectl and zeoct will just make your web interface unavailable, and it should only take about 2 minutes to copy Data.fs, depending on the size of your installation, and tar.gz-ing the $ZENHOME/etc directory is almost instant. Might pass that info to your boss to ease his/her mind. Also, if you have email alerting, I would recommend stopping your sendmail daemon on your test box *before* copying this data over, otherwise you could very well get lots of false alerts sent out.

How did you install the zenpacks? Did you install the core-zenpack rpm?

scorpion
2013-06-12 15:48:57 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73607#73607

Jared,

Thank you for the additional feedback. I got the zenpacks installed now except for EsxTop & XenMonitor. These failed the install. I didn't realize that I had to run a zenpack --install on all zenpacks to upload them. I did install the core-zenpack rpm. So below are some of the remaining issues before copying data from the production box.

Install EsxTop & XenMonitor Zenpacks.
Not sure if iptables need to be modified.
Ran a test backup on the test box and it failed.
Zenping & Zensylog daemons not running, not sure if they should at this point.
How do I install plugins from the from the production box ?

Jared Ready
2013-06-12 16:10:51 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73609#73609

What was the error you got when trying to install those two zenpacks?
IPTables shouldn't need to be messed with right now. Could just shut it down during the upgrade process and configure it however you like when you going to production.
Why did zenbackup fail? Space issue? Might need to specify a different temp directory (it uses /tmp by default) with more space using --temp-dir=DIR.
All daemons should be working. Would have to check the logs to see what's going on there. Did it throw any errors when trying to start those daemons?
We only have two plugins, and they're for LDAP authentication. It was just simply copying over the files to the test box. Wasn't really an "install" process involved there. Did have to restart zope though.

scorpion
2013-06-13 13:38:58 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73610#73610

Jared,

Managed to get those 2 remaining zenpacks installed. Not sure what I was doing wrong initially, but I tried it again after lunch and they installed successfully. Not sure what's going on with the backups. I looked for the test one I ran yesterday and it's in /opt/zenoss/backups. I don't know if that's the right location for backups. Didn't see any errors when restarting services for Daemons.

Jared Ready
2013-06-13 13:55:59 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73597#73597

That is the correct place for backups. I've been urged by a couple senior zenoss folks not to use the zenbackup/zenrestore functionality in version 3.x though. They say it works fine in 4.x, but has some issues in 3.x. I did test it for myself and it failed on the restore operation. A manual backup may be better.

Do you have the 3.2 on RHEL6 running?

scorpion
2013-06-13 14:28:11 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73611#73611

Jared,

I haven't tried the manual backup yet on the test or production box. I do have 3.2.1 running on RHEL6. However, now I have 4 Daemons that I can't get to run. They are zenhub, zenping, zensyslog & zenactions.

Jared Ready
2013-06-13 16:06:08 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73599#73599

Well if zenhub has stopped functioning, that'll cause other daemons to stop as well. Have you checked the logs for any messages relating to why it stopped?

scorpion
2013-06-13 17:17:40 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73612#73612

This is the error that I am getting now in /var/log/messages

Jun 13 12:12:52 lnxXXXXX winbindd[1458]: [2013/06/13 12:12:52.831074,  0] winbindd/winbindd_util.c:330(trustdom_list_done)
Jun 13 12:12:52 lnxXXXXX winbindd[1458]:   Got invalid trustdom response

Jared Ready
2013-06-13 17:23:43 UTC
Jared Ready [http://community.zenoss.org/people/residentbiscuit] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73600#73600

Anything in the logs at $ZENHOME/log?

scorpion
2013-06-17 16:53:39 UTC
scorpion [http://community.zenoss.org/people/scorpion] created the discussion

"Re: Upgrade from 3.2.1 to 4.2.3 and RHEL 5 to RHEL 6"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73635#73635

Jared, thanks for your continued feedback. I was out sick for awhile. I found the problem to the zenhub and other daemons not running or starting. It was because mysqld wasn't started. Once I started that service I was able to startup zenhub and at least one other daemon (zenactions). Now i'm back to where I needed to be at the moment, but I know I still have errors here and there. Will update as I find them.