code and numbers instead of text
Michele Abò
2013-03-06 11:28:08 UTC
Michele Abò [http://community.zenoss.org/people/doGmaI] created the discussion

"code and numbers instead of text"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72288#72288

Hi everyone

I just installed Zenoss 4.2.3 on a clean CentOS 6.3 Linux
Everything worked fine, and I added some devices to my dev installation

Something strange I noticed
* If I add a device using its IP, zenoss stores it with ID as device name, and everytime I receive a mail of an event regarding this device, I see it's IP instead of name. I found on the forum the solution is to edit the device properties and using the rename command, change the device name from IP to something easier to read, and that works
* When an event is cleared, i read cleared by letters&numbers (something I think is an UUID). Using an older version of Zenoss, I haven't noticed this "problem" (for example if the event was "clearing" an high threshold of the device server1, in the field cleared by, I read "cleared by server1". In this new version of zenoss the same message appear as "cleared by '00505688-5fde-b25b-11e2-79681942bd6f'"
* The severity level in the event is displayed as 1 2 3 etc instead of critical, debug etc

I haven't noticed any error message installing Zenoss, but it seems there are problems converting codevalue to descriptive text

Is there something I can check/fix?

Thanks

jcurry
2013-03-15 15:37:58 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: code and numbers instead of text"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72424#72424

When you add a device, if you provide an IP address then Zenoss should try and resolve that IP to a hostname using Domain name Server (DNS).  If this is unsuccessful then the "name" will remain as the IP address.  This field will also be the "id" field in the Zenoss object database (ZODB).

If you want a different name then you can set the Title field to be whatever you want, either on discovery or later.  The id field isn't changed by this but nearly everything in the GUI, including the Event Console, tends to present a device "name" using the titleOrId method.

If your DNS, especially your reverse DNS, is messed up then you can mess up your Zenoss.

Personally, I would always ensure a good DNS available to Zenoss and I would discover single devices using a fully-qualified domain name.  If you are discovering all devices on a network, this is done by trying each IP address but again, a DNS lookup will take place and the DNS name will be used if possible.

Not sure what is going on with your clearing event - that long string looks like an event id (evid) to me.  Did your older version of Zenoss have any event transform on your clear event that perhaps changed fields?

Cheers,
Jane

Michele Abò
2013-03-18 11:16:31 UTC
Michele Abò [http://community.zenoss.org/people/doGmaI] created the discussion

"Re: code and numbers instead of text"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72434#72434

Thanks for your reply Jane

I checked my DNS, and it seems ok. Usually I add devices in zenoss using their name (server1.mydomain.local) and it works perfectly (I see the device with all the informations needed)

About the strange number, I've noticed that this happens only when the event is cleared without user intervention
1. when the event is closed by me, in the clearing event I read closed by '' (I thought I was supposed to see my user name in there...)
2. when the event is closed by "aging task" I correctly read "Cleared by: 'Event aging task'
3. the strange thing happens when the device is back online. I have a couple of network switch that sometimes stop responding to snmp request due to high load (I'm waiting for the new switches, these one are just temporary devices). When the switch stop responding I see a new event ("the device xxxx is DOWN") and when the device is back online I see a new event with the string "cleared by lots-of-numbers-and-letters")

Right now I can't check my old zenoss installation, because the pc where it was is dead :'(
Btw, thanks for your suggestion: I will search for an event trasform related to my problem on the net

Ryan Senio
2013-03-19 14:57:04 UTC
Ryan Senio [http://community.zenoss.org/people/rsenio] created the discussion

"Re: code and numbers instead of text"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72454#72454

I can confirm the exact same results with my 4.2.3. I used the following thread to resolved the device ID/name issue http://community.zenoss.org/message/71355#71355 http://community.zenoss.org/message/71355 last page, second last post I used ${eventSummary/actor/element_title}

However, I still have the same issue with events being cleared either by me or by the system. If I clear it the email alert states Cleared by "". If the zenoss instance clears the alert then I have the same Cleared by "long string of numbers"

My older Zenoss 3 didn't have this issue.

jcurry
2013-03-19 15:32:47 UTC
jcurry [http://community.zenoss.org/people/jcurry] created the discussion

"Re: code and numbers instead of text"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72470#72470

The events closed by a human (status = Closed) has a bug documented in JIRA as ZEN-5131 - http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-5131 http://jira.zenoss.com/jira/browse/ZEN-5131 , which means that the user is blank rather than having the Zenoss user.  This seems to be fixed and should be available in the next maintenance release.

Events that are resolved by another event have a status of Cleared (this is a new distinction in Zenoss 4.x).  The clearid attribute is set to the evid of the "good news" event and looks just like the example you originally showed - a long string.

What is not standard is to change the meesage or summary field of an event to contain a "Cleared by ...." message.

Can I check here - is it the summary field in the event console that you are referring to with the "Cleared by..." message or do you have an email notification that says "Cleaered by..." ????

The standard email notification DOES say "Cleared by..." and is followed by ${evt/clearid} - the long string.  The append that Ryan references is addressing changing the email notification and has good suggestions for how to modify this.

Cheers,
Jane

Michele Abò
2013-03-21 09:12:51 UTC
Michele Abò [http://community.zenoss.org/people/doGmaI] created the discussion

"Re: code and numbers instead of text"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72555#72555

Tanks both of you for your suggestion

I will be back in office next week, and I will try both your suggestion and let you know

Michele Abò
2013-03-25 11:01:14 UTC
Michele Abò [http://community.zenoss.org/people/doGmaI] created the discussion

"Re: code and numbers instead of text"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72572#72572

Hi, I'm back working on Zenoss

@Ryan: I will try customizing the email report as per thread you linked today. Will let you know more later...

@Jcurry: I left my Zenoss working for the past days, with a couple of test device, just to have some events to investigate. What I've noticed

1. new event: the email sent to my address seems correct. Only severity field is a number instead of the textual representation
2. event closed by user: as previously said, I don't get the user name, but that's not a problem. I will wait for the next release of Zenoss (right now, I'm the only one using Zenoss, so there are no doubt I am the one closing events. The subject  of the email is like "[zenoss] CLEAR: server User '' closed the event in the Zenoss event console". The body of the email contains "Cleared by: 'User action'"
3. event cleared by aging: subject is "[zenoss] CLEAR: server threshold of high utilization restored ...". Body of the email: Cleared by: '00505688-ef41-8778-11e2-952428df99e7'

Thanks again