Zenoss VM cannot connect with snmp clients
COMPUTER KING
2012-03-08 01:10:05 UTC
COMPUTER KING [http://community.zenoss.org/people/c0mputerking] created the discussion

"Zenoss VM cannot connect with snmp clients"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65057#65057

I am having trouble getting my zenoss server

| Zenoss 3.2.1 |
| OS (http://www.tldp.org/) | Linux (i686) 2.6.32 (Linux zen1 2.6.32-7-pve #1 SMP Thu Feb 16 09:00:32 CET 2012 i686) |
| Zope (http://www.zope.org/) | Zope 2.12.1 |
| Python (http://www.python.org/) | Python 2.6.2 |
| Database (http://www.mysql.com/) | MySQL 5.0.45 (Ver 5.0.45) |
| RRD (http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool) | RRDtool 1.3.9 |
| Twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac) | Twisted 8.1.0 |
| NetSnmp (http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/) | NetSnmp 5.4.1 |
| PyNetSnmp (http://www.zenoss.com/) | PyNetSnmp 0.29.13 |
| WMI (http://www.zenoss.com/) | Wmi 1.3.13 |

On ubuntu 8.04 to commucate with anything other than localhost I have read many post and tried all suggestions but alas cannot get zeoss going
Read this post and took all recommended steps http://community.zenoss.org/message/40463#40463#40463 http://community.zenoss.org/message/40463#40463

I've read about and changed my /etc/defaults/snmpd.conf on all my ubuntu clients and for good luck the server too!!
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/net-snmp/+bug/74896 https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/net-snmp/+bug/74896
http://community.zenoss.org/message/12882#12882#12882 http://community.zenoss.org/message/12882#12882

I now get this in my netstat on the client
| udp    | 0  | 0 0.0.0.0:161         | 0.0.0.0:* |

I have also done a remote port scan of the client and get the below relevant lines not sure what the closed bit mean but i have added a rule to the firewall allowing port 161
161/tcp closed snmp

I have also done a remote port scan of the server and get the below relevant lines as the is a VM i have created 2 rules one allowing port 161 (so i can monitor the hyper-visior) and one forwarding port 514 from the hyper-visor to the virual machine that runs Zenoss please help!!
161/tcp closed snmp
514/tcp closed shell

PS not sure why but i have alot of ports forwarded from the hyper-visor to VMs but the only on that shows up on a port scan is 514

nilie
2012-03-08 04:29:42 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss VM cannot connect with snmp clients"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65058#65058

First of all, if I'm not mistaking SNMP transport protocol is UDP so did you try to open 161/udp ? Again, for syslog most of the networking equipments are using UDP as their transport protocol.

Start with a test client on which you disable the firewall and see if you can ping and snmpwalk it from the Zenoss server. You can also use tcpdump on the Zenoss server to see if there are any packets returning.

Hope this will help.

2012-03-08 13:04:11 UTC

"Re: Zenoss VM cannot connect with snmp clients"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65059#65059

Are you just setting this up? If so, I strongly recommend using CENTOS or Scientific Linux or RHEL, as that's what v4 is going to support out of the box with RPMs...