Monitoring SNMP Top Level OID
spmalloy
2012-03-20 22:06:16 UTC
spmalloy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/spmalloy] created the discussion

"Monitoring SNMP Top Level OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65346#65346

I am trying to setup a monitoring template for my AIX 6.1 servers. I would like the template to be generic enough that it could be applied to any of my AIX systems that I want to monitor.

I would like to setup Zenoss to monitor certain top level SNMP OIDs and then pull the data for all of the sub OIDs underneath it. I cannot get this to work correctly.

Here is an example .....

The AIX OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.2.2.1.19.1.3 has three sub OIDs 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.2.2.1.19.1.3.1, 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.2.2.1.19.1.3.2, and 1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.2.2.1.19.1.3.3.

I can specify each of the three sub OIDs in the template individuually as separte datasources and it works great. When I try to specify the top level OID(1.3.6.1.4.1.2.3.1.2.2.2.1.19.1.3) it doesn't seem to pull any data. The issue is that not all of my AIX systems have the same number of sub OIDs for this particular top level OID, so I was thinking I could just tell Zenoss to monitor the top level OID and it would pull the correct sub OIDs for each system. This particular top level OID is for HBA perforamance and the number of sub OIDs depends on how many HBA adapters the server has.

Is there an easy way to setup Zenoss to monitor a top level OID and automatically pull in all of the appropriate sub OIDs?

Thanks.

dpetzel
2012-03-21 00:39:35 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring SNMP Top Level OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65347#65347

I wouldn't call it 'easy' but the functionality your are looking for would be provided via custom modeler plugin. I don't use AIX, but I'm assuming you've review the available ZenPacks and none of them provide the HBA data in question already?

If that is the case, the best way to pull this off involves writing some code, such that you have an HBA component, an HBA component template, and a custom modeler plugin. A Search for Jane Curry's ZenPack Development PDF would be a great starting point from a documentation angle.

spmalloy
2012-03-21 01:29:08 UTC
spmalloy [http://community.zenoss.org/people/spmalloy] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring SNMP Top Level OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65348#65348

I haven't personally looked at any of the AIX related Zenpacks, but one of my co-workers did. I was told that none of the AIX related Zenpacks work with our version of Zenoss.

linuxdynasty
2012-03-22 17:15:27 UTC
linuxdynasty [http://community.zenoss.org/people/linuxdynasty] created the discussion

"Re: Monitoring SNMP Top Level OID"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/65374#65374

If you want something quick and dirty you can use this...
https://github.com/linuxdynasty/Linuxdynasty/blob/de98e1b4d0946bd7c569d1f6952aaa926f4df032/asanabria/Scripts/python/snmp_branch.py https://github.com/linuxdynasty/Linuxdynasty/blob/de98e1b4d0946bd7c569d1f6952aaa926f4df032/asanabria/Scripts/python/snmp_branch.py

Also a howto on how to use it....

http://linuxdynasty.org/194/howto-add-multiple-datapoints-to-zenoss-using-the-zenoss-api/ http://linuxdynasty.org/194/howto-add-multiple-datapoints-to-zenoss-using-the-zenoss-api/