Bad counters from windows 2008 standard
Patrick Tierney
2013-10-16 13:46:20 UTC
Patrick Tierney [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ptierney] created the discussion

"Bad counters from windows 2008 standard"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74969#74969

So, doing some testing with 4.2.4 and adding a Windows server 2008 AD controller comes back with an error of "24 bad counters" for device.  I don't get that error on Windows 2008 R2 enterprise.  So, when I do as suggested, run typeperf -q and discover that the counters are indeed not there (but are for R2 enterprise).  I can't believe that such basic info like memory and network interface stats aren't included in standard but the question is: does anyone know how to add those counters to 2008 standard?  I know this isn't really a Zenoss question, but I can't find an answer anywhere.  Yes, I could turn them off, but I'd rather be able to collect the data.

hydruid
2013-10-17 01:56:53 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Bad counters from windows 2008 standard"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74985#74985

I've found that a lot of the "Bad Counters" are when Zenoss is trying to
monitor the boot partition, virtual interfaces (e.g. with Hypervisors like
Hyper-V). Basically things you don't necessarily want to monitor.

What specifically do you want to monitor that it's getting a bad counter
for?

Patrick Tierney
2013-10-18 16:31:39 UTC
Patrick Tierney [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ptierney] created the discussion

"Re: Bad counters from windows 2008 standard"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74997#74997

The missing ones were \Memory\*, Network*\* and NTDS\*.  I've been able to enable memory and networking by going into the registry in \\HKEY\System\CurrentControlSet, searching for "Disable Performance Monitors" and deleting the entry.  Found out later I could've just set them to 0, but hopefully that won't bite me later.  I still have the NTDS counters missing on my 2008 Domain Controllers and \SMTP Server(_Total)\Local Queue Length, \SMTP Server(_Total)\Messages Delivered/sec on my Exchange 2010 server.

hydruid
2013-10-18 17:54:25 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Bad counters from windows 2008 standard"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74999#74999

For NTDS, you might take a look this link, into
http://blogs.technet.com/b/brad_rutkowski/archive/2009/03/19/ntds-performance-counters-missing.aspx?Redirected=true http://blogs.technet.com/b/brad_rutkowski/archive/2009/03/19/ntds-performance-counters-missing.aspx?Redirected=true

I believe that Zenoss is monitoring correctly, the Windows Servers must be
configured to report properly!

Patrick Tierney
2013-10-18 18:13:26 UTC
Patrick Tierney [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ptierney] created the discussion

"Re: Bad counters from windows 2008 standard"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75000#75000

No doubt, this is probably  a windows config issue.  In this case, I'm only missing just a few of the NTDS parameters, I hadn't realized that before.

\NTDS\KDC AS Requests,
\NTDS\KDC TGS Requests,
\NTDS\Kerberos Authentications,
\NTDS\NTLM Authentications

I will have to look this up, perhaps they're not relevant to 2008?

hydruid
2013-10-18 18:25:05 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: Bad counters from windows 2008 standard"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/75001#75001

I wouldn't worry about it personally!