Thresholds, blank eventClassKey and Transforms
ebay_noob
2013-07-09 14:42:34 UTC
ebay_noob [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ebay_noob] created the discussion

"Thresholds, blank eventClassKey and Transforms"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73879#73879

HI,

I'm managing Zenoss 2.4.5 for a while now and I’m using transforms to process my events, have some custom devices with data points and triggers, so far so good.

Issue I got across recently: I have a device with custom gauge data point and accompanying threshold. When the thresholds is triggered an event is generated under the class selected in the threshold “Event Class” setting, all seems ok but I just want a little more info in the event so I need it to pass through a transform so that I can get it.

My attempts so far:
* Try to make manual mapping of the event in the event console; as the event is already of specific class that I assigned in the threshold, it will refuse to create another mapping

* Ok, so if I make the “Event Class” under the threshold to be “/Unknown” I should be able to create a mapping? No, the event will not map as the eventClassKay is blank...
* Still no good, so I search and read about "defaultmapping" and created one in the same event class as selected in the threshold. I tried simple Regex and Rule, still nothing. So i cleared the Rule and Regex completely so that all evens were being processed, and sure they were, all except the ones coming from my threshold...

Surely that can't be Zenoss limitations so I assume it's me doing something incorrectly.

Any help or guidance from better pleople than I am would be great!

2013-07-09 15:11:46 UTC

"Re: Thresholds, blank eventClassKey and Transforms"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73880#73880

Have you read Jane Curry's event management paper? I think it will help you understand how to work with defaultmapping.

Linked from: https://zcaportal.org/wiki/bin/view/ZCA/WebHome https://zcaportal.org/wiki/bin/view/ZCA/WebHome ... also has FAQs.

CLASSE Computer Group

ebay_noob
2013-07-10 09:24:31 UTC
ebay_noob [http://community.zenoss.org/people/ebay_noob] created the discussion

"Re: Thresholds, blank eventClassKey and Transforms"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/73904#73904

Not exactly what i was looking for as the defaultmapping will not work with en event that is already of a specific class other than "/Unknown", however I've managed to find the solution to my problem: how to add transform to a class rather than class mapping

"+A class transform is configured starting from the Events lefthand menu, by drilling down to the class in question (not the class mapping) and then use the top dropdown table menu to bring up the More > Transform menu.+"