"SNMP agent down - no response received" After Upgrade
fontanachris
2013-07-25 14:41:27 UTC
fontanachris [http://community.zenoss.org/people/fontanachris] created the discussion

""SNMP agent down - no response received" After Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74136#74136

Good Morning,

I just finished the upgraded from 3.2.1 to 4.2.4, and it seems to have gone successfully. However, I have several devices, a mix of KVM switches, Windows hosts, and a UPS, that are reporting "SNMP agent down - no response received". The devices in question had no issues prior to the upgrade. When attempting an snmpwalk within Zenoss, I get the first line of the system tree, but it hangs after that. When trying snmpwalk, with the same syntax, from the Zenoss server's console, it runs as it should. These are only v1 and v2c hosts. I changed the command in Zenoss to point directly to /bin/snmpwalk instead of just snmpwalk in case Zenoss was using some stray binary somewhere, but that didn't have any effect. Any ideas? Thanks.

hydruid
2013-07-25 19:04:24 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: "SNMP agent down - no response received" After Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74148#74148

Just out of curiosity...what happens if on the server cli you su to the zenoss user and try the snmpwalk commands?

fontanachris
2013-07-25 19:55:33 UTC
fontanachris [http://community.zenoss.org/people/fontanachris] created the discussion

"Re: "SNMP agent down - no response received" After Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74156#74156

If I su to the user zenoss and run snmpwalk with the same arguments on one of the problem hosts, it returns the complete system tree. snmpwalk through the Command feature in the application still returns only the first line and I still have no SNMP data collection happening. Thank you for the response.

hydruid
2013-07-25 20:03:50 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: "SNMP agent down - no response received" After Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74157#74157

Many of my devices, that snmp data collection is working for, only return
the 1st line of system through the UI's command feature.

Make sure you don't have zSnmpMonitorIgnore enabled in Conf Properties, and
make sure the "folder" in the UI where the devices are at have a template
assigned to them....I've heard of issues where it wasn't inherited properly

fontanachris
2013-08-02 00:07:36 UTC
fontanachris [http://community.zenoss.org/people/fontanachris] created the discussion

"Re: "SNMP agent down - no response received" After Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74269#74269

zSnmpMonitorIgnore is set to false, both directly on the device and on the "folders" that they reside in. If I select Model Device..., it will not error out or complain about not being able to poll SNMP.

I increased the timeout from 1 second to 3 seconds. I'm not sure where the delay is being incurred because when I run the snmpwalk command from the command line, the results are returned immediately. Either way, increasing the timeout duration for the devices in question appears to have "fixed" the problem. Thank you.

hydruid
2013-08-02 00:14:42 UTC
hydruid [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hydruid] created the discussion

"Re: "SNMP agent down - no response received" After Upgrade"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/74270#74270

Glad to hear you got it!