Force name vs. IP
xlancealot
2012-03-01 15:58:42 UTC
xlancealot [http://community.zenoss.org/people/xlancealot] created the discussion

"Force name vs. IP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64887#64887

Using AWS we have constant issues with servers rebooting and getting new IP's causing down IP alerts to be sent.  I see there is an AWS zenpack but don't see that it coveres this, and it really maybe a simple fix.

I saw some old threads that said no, but in the 3.2.x world, can you tell zenoss to use the DNS name (there is a script to update the local host file and works perfect) so I would love to just use the name.

Tnx

dpetzel
2012-03-02 01:36:10 UTC
dpetzel [http://community.zenoss.org/people/dpetzel] created the discussion

"Re: Force name vs. IP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64898#64898

I'm not sure there is a way to force it like that, but if you already have a script updating the host file, perhaps you could update the script and invoke a "change ip" on the device through zendmd at the same time you update the host file?

xlancealot
2012-03-02 14:14:22 UTC
xlancealot [http://community.zenoss.org/people/xlancealot] created the discussion

"Re: Force name vs. IP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64911#64911

Well the servers run the script @reboot, so the host is always current.  I will look around for some zendmd examples, but if I find out how, I guess I could just run that in a cron every x minutes to keep things 'fresh'.

Will see what I can find, but thanks for the idea!

Shane Scott
2012-03-05 19:49:10 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Force name vs. IP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64953#64953

xlancealot:

Monitoring using DNS simply doesn't make sense. Because of that and other reasons ZenOSS is firmly designed around monitoring by IP almost exclusively. You'd need to write custom tests and disable zenping to get the functionality you want.

--Shane

xlancealot
2012-03-05 22:53:00 UTC
xlancealot [http://community.zenoss.org/people/xlancealot] created the discussion

"Re: Force name vs. IP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64927#64927

Shane, thanks for the reply but to say it "doesn't make sense" is based on your opinion.  If it did just what the developer wanted there would be no zenpacks from users, etc.  And if the fact that it  is based on just that, there would not be a menu option to change/reset IP and even the "leave blank for DNS resolution" would not be there!  I was hoping for either a simple flag, or as I said an automated way to push the change even from the client.

The fact that amazons ec2 machines reset there local ip's on reboot is why I asked.

Shane Scott
2012-03-05 23:05:21 UTC
Shane Scott [http://community.zenoss.org/people/hackman238] created the discussion

"Re: Force name vs. IP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64958#64958

xlancealot:

That's what ZenOSS engineering told me te reasoning was. The reset ip via hostname merely resolves the ip based on the getTitleOrId value. It always monitors by IP.

There are no flags to do what you want, however, you can add a line to the dhclient on your monitored boxes to perform a rest or xmlrpc call to update their IP.

Best,
--Shane

xlancealot
2012-03-05 23:32:01 UTC
xlancealot [http://community.zenoss.org/people/xlancealot] created the discussion

"Re: Force name vs. IP"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/64928#64928

You da man (well I will be home soon to test) so you may be the man ;)

Post back after (also on the rrd answer)