New Custom Report
Jaro Dygas
2012-11-12 21:35:50 UTC
Jaro Dygas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JSG] created the discussion

"New Custom Report"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69840#69840

Hello,

I am very new to ZenOSS Core 4.  I am not the network administrator.  I have been told that I need a custom report for the following scenario...

I want to be obtain data points and metrics in order to create a benchmark.  The data points are based on the day of the week and the time of day.  It should run continuously.  I want to determine the amount of output from one Windows server interface to seperate Windows server inferface(s).  The output goes through a 3rd party software solution and is one-way communication.  If I know the source, the destination, and the service used, can I create data points and graphs to determine how much data is flowing from one server interface to a seperate server interface?   I do not need to know the type of traffic or packets, but just how much overall data is being transferred.

Please let me know what I would need to do in order to create such baseline reports.

Thanks for any and all help.

2012-11-13 13:25:46 UTC

"Re: New Custom Report"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69848#69848

I doubt it. It sounds like what you want is netflow, not SNMP datapoints.

Jaro Dygas
2012-11-13 14:52:10 UTC
Jaro Dygas [http://community.zenoss.org/people/JSG] created the discussion

"Re: New Custom Report"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69898#69898

It does appear that I am looking for something such as netflow.  I do not have the ability or access to install or deploy netflow software in the environment.  I was hoping that ZenOSS could do something like this since it can look at interfaces.

If ZenOSS monitors each network interface on a Windows server for total outbound traffic, and can also monitor Windows server interfaces for all inbound traffic,  all in total bytes received,  is it possible to create something in ZenOSS that monitors just the amount of outbound traffic going from one Windows server interface to a different Windows server interface?

Thanks,
- jaro

2012-11-13 16:19:32 UTC

"Re: New Custom Report"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/69899#69899

The OIDs that Zenoss monitors just are an amount of traffic. The interfaces don't break that up, that's why netflow exists...

Anything you're talking about will require some level of software access that isn't Zenoss somewhere. You could, for instance, put a software firewall like Comodo on the Windows box and that can show you in real time on the server console where the data is going.

But if I understand what you want, you really want something that does netflow with a probe or switch enabled off one of the Windows servers to show you what you are asking to see.