Threshold against a historic high-water mark
Richard Evans
2013-04-26 21:45:25 UTC
Richard Evans [http://community.zenoss.org/people/Richard.evans%40schwab.com] created the discussion

"Threshold against a historic high-water mark"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/72995#72995

I have a need to set a threshold against a value derived from historic observations.

For example, the 90% of the maximum value for some slow-moving -OTHER- metric over the last 45 days (moving window).

If it were the same metric, then I would think about using Holt-Winters, but in this case, it's a different metric, so I don't think thats an option.

Perhaps I could use getRRDValue with all the right arguments to propery summarizes an aggregation of the right CF for a start = now - (some epoch_seconds), but that would cause that retrieval to happen for every test of the threshold.

More likely I need to run something on a daily basis which does the calculation and stores that somewhere (attribute of the component?) where I can get to it with a here.myAttribute call?

Any suggestions / examples?

TIA!
Richard Evans