Zenoss and Virtual Interfaces
joanypony
2013-01-17 16:48:38 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Zenoss and Virtual Interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71055#71055

Heya,

So we have a lot of servers that have a second IP bound as a virtual interface. It looks like this in ifconfig:

ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr C0:FF:EE:92:DD:3A
          inet addr:10.64.0.84  Bcast:10.64.7.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::c2ff:eeff:fe92:dd3a/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:3381401119 (3.1 GiB)  TX bytes:984038886 (938.4 MiB)
          Interrupt:177 Base address:0xe000

eth0:1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr C0:FF:EE:92:DD:3A
          inet addr:10.64.6.0  Bcast:10.64.7.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          Interrupt:177 Base address:0xe000

*Does anyone know how to to tell Zenoss NOT to pick up the second IP?* eg, the eth0:1 IP?

Zenoss uses the eth0 IP as the primary, and picks up the other IP. It doesn't allow you to do anything with the other IP.
I have tried to ignore it in the configuration settings but adding eth0:1 to the zInterfaceMapIgnoreNames, zInterfaceMapIgnoreTypes and zLocalInterfaceNames.

I know it's possible to reject this IP using it's range in the zLocalIpAddresses setting, but that's not feasible for the way our network is set up.

*The reason I don't want this IP collected is because I want to add it as a separate device and apply different monitoring templates to it.*

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Joan

nilie
2013-01-17 20:54:40 UTC
nilie [http://community.zenoss.org/people/nilie] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss and Virtual Interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71070#71070

If I understand correctly your situation, I'd say there is not much you can do. Zenoss is using only one IP address, the one you give it when you first add the device into Zenoss. After that, in the modeling process Zenoss will consult the IP routing table of the device to see if there are other IP addresses attached to other interfaces of the same device. Once it does this, it will not allow you to use any of those secondary IP as you call them to be added directly or by hostname, obviously for performance and of course sysadmin mental health reasons :) . What would be if Zenoss would be forced to re-model the same device more than a dozen times for each IP address present on a device (think a core router with lots of L3 interfaces and routed VLANs) so the policy is one device - one IP a
ddress.
As for the zInterfaceMapIgnoreNames and zMapInterfaceIgnoreTypes, Zenoss is looking at IfType and IfName snmp OIDs which can never be something like eth0:1, Zenoss is using those values to further ignore some discovered interfaces and not to ignore them during the discovery process.
Just for my own curiosity, what is the goal you're pursuing by having one single device being treated like two different ones ? The monitoring templates you're mentioning, are they component templates or device templates ?

joanypony
2013-01-17 21:05:09 UTC
joanypony [http://community.zenoss.org/people/joanypony] created the discussion

"Re: Zenoss and Virtual Interfaces"

To view the discussion, visit: http://community.zenoss.org/message/71060#71060

Hi Nille,
Thanks so much for the reply. I was afraid you were going to say that :)

The answer to "why on earth are you doing that?!" is that interface eth0:0 on the device is the local LAN IP, eth0:1 is IP present on the load balancer.

We wish to monitor boring machine health via the local LAN IP and we wish to monitor application performance from the load balancer side to more effectively mimic the user experience.

I have found another approach that works but of couse is a bit of a kludge. In the configuration settings of zLocalIpAddresses, I can reject the load balancer range with a regex. Then I delete the eth0 interface, remodel the device and let eth0 be rediscovered. While it still lists both IPs, the secondary is now just text, ie, not clickable.

THEN, I can add a device and give it the secondary IP and zenoss accepts it.. Not pretty, but it seems to work.

Joan